Thursday, January 30, 2014

Snow Day Two and Three

Clearly I had no idea the gridlock our city would be in just a few short hours after I wrote my last post on Tuesday afternoon.  I have to admit I feel the teeniest bit guilty ranting about my wee 1 hour and 43 minute drive home after hearing what others went through.  I suppose it's all relative though.  It was certainly a traumatizing experience on my end and one I don't care to go through again.

However, the evening news and various other social media outlets did a fine job of putting my day into perspective.  Since then, I am happy to hear of all the families that have been safely reunited, the streets that are clearing, and the students and teachers who have finally made it home.  With that being said, I was mighty thankful to have my kiddos and hubby safe and snug at home with me.

I can't lie and say that snow day two and three were solely spent having joyous family bonding time.  There was certainly a lot of that intermittent with bouts of whining and complaining.  I heard a few, 'I'm so cold', 'my feet itch', 'mama mama mama', 'my clothes are wet', and the most impressive, 'I wish I were at school'.

But somewhere in between all of that we have had fun in the snow.

Jack was an absolute maniac on the sled.  Daddy walked him two hills over to play with school friends so sadly I missed out on a lot of it.  But I did get to view some great video footage.  There were definitely some helmet worthy moments.  Jack spent most of day two inside with "itching feet" which I finally concluded as a bit of frost bite.  {it appears we don't have the proper snow foot gear around here} He finally recovered and was able to enjoy the great outdoors once again.

My Maggie pulled a typical diva move.  She said in her sweetest sing song voice, "I would love to go outside when it stops snowing" {of course it had quit snowing, but there was still snow on the ground}.  After checking the window she, so nonchalantly, said, "it's still snowing, I don't want to go".  It seems she needs a lesson on verbage and weather.

But happily she did come around.  I've got many pictures and many many snow angels in my yard to prove it.

And then there is my dearest Lucy.  Anytime someone headed to the mudroom to robe themselves in snow gear you better believe Lucy was on their tail trying to do the same.  Any mention of the words 'play' or 'snow' and she has been at the door staring out the panes.  Lu most definitely has had her fair share of fun in the snow.  She has been in precious awe of it all.

Her favorite activities have included watching our snowman come to life and sledding down the hill in Mommy's arms {she was flying and giggling all the while}.  The only pitfall we've encountered with littlest Lu and the snow was her obstinance with mittens.  We've made several hand warming trips inside over the past couple of days.

When we haven't been playing in the snow {which has been often}, we've occupied ourselves with Lego building, Valentine goody assembly, more screen time than I care to admit, lots of wardrobe changes, reading books with Mommy, snuggles by the fire, several snacks and some whining and complaining {just keeping it real folks}.

With all of that, I must say, I do love a good old fashioned snow day.  And I just got word that tomorrow will be snow day number 4 for both Jack and Maggie.  Wish me luck.
















Yes, she did choose a dress to play in the snow.









No comments: