Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Back To School


Today was Jack's first day back to school. He is in the 2 year old room this year two days a week. I'll enjoy my two free mornings while I can pending Maggie's arrival.

We went to Open House last week where he met his new teachers, Ms. Inga and Ms. Paige. He saw some of his old friends and met a few new ones. He even got to test out some of the toys and manipulative's he will be enjoying this year.

We've talked about our "first day" several times since our visit last week. And each time Jack asks me, "Mommy go too?" I re-explain the dynamics of school and then he responds with "Mommy be riiiiight back!". "That's right Jack!", I say, reassuring him each time.

We took our annual "First Day" pictures on the front porch this morning. Jack was all smiles with his new school bag. We drove to school and Jack talked about his yellow building and seeing Sophia. All was well, until...drop off came.

It wasn't too terribly bad. But, definitely not what I expected after such a happy morning. We hugged goodbye and as soon as he looked up and saw his teacher in the doorway he lost it--full tears and a look of anguish. Ms. Inga swooped him up and into the door he went. Before I could even get his bag hung and sign him in--he was quiet. Within 2 minutes tops, I peeked in and he was playing at the work bench with all of his "fwens".

I couldn't help but leave with a little bit of a heavy heart. Why did he have to do that? If the tears were going to subside in about a minute, then why even waste them? It just made it harder on both of us.

I thought a lot about him this morning. I missed him terribly. Much more than I did last year or even at camp this summer. There's this part of me that truly believes that Jack and I both sense a very big change coming on. No more just Mommy and her little man--we have a baby sister coming and she's coming soon. Lately I seem to hug him a little longer, smile at his antics more often, and spend much more time just talking to him. It's all so bittersweet and going "back to school" made me realize just how much.

I couldn't wait to pick him up this afternoon. I, of course, knew he was fine and happy, but I was really ready to see him. I walked up and he was standing by the number poster counting and reciting numbers. "Mommeeee", he squealed as soon as he saw me. The teachers said, "he had a great day, was very happy, and had fun". Nice to hear.

On the way home he told me all about his day with a little prying on my part. I learned he "payed sides (slides) ouside", "ate cheese and gween gapes", "hewld the bue and yellow wope" on the way to creative movement, listened to a "bahr (bear) book" while sitting on the "mouse on the bue wug", and his favorite..."payed wace cahs (race cars) on the woad that went wound and wound and awound". He said he had fun and even talked about going back "next time".

So here's to another school year and all of the new and exciting changes it holds...for both of us!




Now, do either of these pictures look like a 2 year old worried about going to school?

The race is on to our "yellow scool".

We made it and are so excited (temporarily).

It sure is nice having a "favowit frewn" in our class.




1 comment:

The Fokens Family said...

CUTE! I love how he's standing still and smiling! Lucky you:)
~E