Tuesday, September 1, 2009

In Training


We are in training around here....
obviously potty training. We actually have been for several months. Just the v..e..r..y slow motion kind.

In April, we got Jack an Elmo potty seat and Elmo's Potty DVD for his birthday. He took one look at it and was off to more important things. We played the DVD and within 7 minutes he asked us to "turn it off". We sat him on the potty and he screamed. 'Okay', we thought, 'he is obviously not ready for this'.

I left things alone for quite a while. I mentioned here and there that I or Daddy were off to use the big potty. If I saw a big kid heading to the potty, I nonchalantly pointed it out to Jack. But, nothing more. Then one day, out of no where, in June he asked to watch his "potty DBD". And that followed shortly after with asking to "sit Elmo potty". We then began consistently putting Jack on the potty before bath time. Many nights he just sat there and after 2 very short minutes he would declare, "not working". "Okay, we'll try again later", we would tell him.

By July, Jack was consistently pee peeing on the potty every night before bath. Woo hoo! A step in the right direction. We added potty break before nap. And before we knew it he was consistent with that one too. Now, keep in mind he was still in diapers all day.

And so that brings me to August. We have continued the two potty breaks a day...one before nap and one before bedtime. And we even randomly ask at other times of the day, (if we are home). But, the most exciting addition is the introduction to big boy undies. After nap, we head to the potty, strip our diaper off, and then gallop to his room to choose the big boy underwear of the evening. From here on out to bath time, every hour on the hour we are up to our Elmo potty seat. And he pretty much pee pees each time. Don't get me wrong we have had our fair share of accidents. It usually starts with a little tinkle and then Jack informing me of what's happening. I say, "wait lets go the the potty!". He holds it while we run to the bathroom and then completes his duty with Elmo. Of course, bed time we are back to a diaper.

So, as you can see, we have come a long way, but still have a VERY long way to go. He has NEVER had a #2 on the potty, and we are no where close to going to undies all day. Part of the problem is we are out and about every morning between school, music, and gym classes.

I guess my main agenda for this posting is to solicit any advice. I realize very few people really care about our Potty Training adventures. But, I need you to see where we are so you can possibly guide me on where to go next. I'm wondering what September should bring?, should I try Pull Ups? (I'm really unclear about that concept), and what to do about the A.M. when we aren't home?
It looks like we will be 'In Training' this fall too. I'll keep you posted...I know you will be on the edge of your seats....Elmo seat that is.



4 comments:

Andrea said...

Hey Girlie,
You are doing everything right. It's just these little guys have a mind of their own. I prayed all sorts of potty prayers, read books, blogs, cried a little, and once I kinda gave up, it clicked. We still wear diapers at night, or night time pull-ups, because I don't wake sleeping babies. One suggestion, Hanna Andersson training undies. They are thick, but super soft so if there are accidents, they don't leave such a mess. Good Luck and he'll come around.
~Andrea

The Campbells said...

sounds like you are on the right track. My friends say with boys that waiting til 3 yrs is easier. But keep rewarding the good behavior. Grace did 1 m&m for PP AND 2 for bm. I also hear target practice is good for boys, cheerios in the potty.

Erin said...

ha, that is funny we both posted this topic this week. This whole potty training thing is a completely foreign concept to me - this is the first time since he was born and we were figuring out breastfeeding, bottles, etc that I have felt so clueless! And this time it is all in their hands! But I am sure in a few months we will look back and realize it all falls in to place (hopefully).

Tanya said...

What a cute picture! I think you are on the right track too. We did pull-ups and then transitioned to the underwear. They make training underwear with a thicker lining that I found at Target. They are perfect for when you can't make it to the potty right away and have a leak.

Each kid is so different, so just do what works for you and Jack. We did the m&m trick too. It seemed to be the only thing that motivated him to go when we first started. Good luck!