Saturday, August 22, 2009

Timmmberrr

Clay and I were putting Jack to bed the other evening when we heard this most incredible thunderous sound. I'm not really even sure how to describe it. It was so booming that it almost sounded like it was close enough to be in the house, but at the same time it was clear to tell that it wasn't. We finished bed time kisses with J and scurried downstairs to see what it could be. And this is what we found...



A tree from our neighbors yard had fallen flat across our "field" (as Jack calls it). It tore down the fence that separates our homes and our back fence that separates us from the creek. It wasn't raining or storming and actually hadn't in a while. I think the first thought that ran through Clay's and my mind was--thank God we weren't playing back here (which is something we usually do before dinner or bedtime). Then the second thought was--thank God it wasn't the house. If you look closely you can see the tree only fell one foot away from the play set--another thank God moment.
In this catastrophe, I learned something new. Apparently the owners of the property the tree lands on are responsible for clean up and repairs, not where it originates from. So after several estimates, we finally have someone coming out Monday to clean up the tree. From there comes the fence. Our neighbor has graciously offered to rebuild it for us. Clay accepted and is going to help him out--so it looks like we will both have learned something new from this experience. Once we get our yard back in tip top shape, we were hoping to host a cook out and Boccie Ball evening. Hopefully it won't be long!



4 comments:

Erin said...

oh my gosh...you are right, you are lucky you guys weren't out there. scary! And I can't believe you have to clean it up??

Tanya said...

Oh my gosh Paula, thank god y'all are ok. That is scary! It was so close to the play area. I also can't believe that you are responsible for cleaning it up. We had a tree removed in our backyard and tree removals can be expensive. I'm glad that y'all are safe. I hope that your pregnancy is going well! Not too much longer, right?

Heather Dahlby said...

Woah! Just when things seem to settle down, right?! I'm glad ya'll are ok and everything . . . but I'm REALLY glad the playset escaped unscathed :) Jack would have been devistated (and you would have been, too!). Sorry to hear the bad news!!

The Fokens Family said...

Glad you guys are ok!! That was a close call.
~Erica