Isn't it funny that just about the time we celebrate our Independence as a country, my vivacious toddler has begun to celebrate his Independence as a person?
I knew it was coming. All of my friends with older tots told me about it, the books said so, and I could see Jack beginning to do things on his own. It's just like everyone described... he is torn somewhere between wanting to be his own person and needing the security of Mommy.
I knew it was coming. All of my friends with older tots told me about it, the books said so, and I could see Jack beginning to do things on his own. It's just like everyone described... he is torn somewhere between wanting to be his own person and needing the security of Mommy.
Emphatic "Me do it" and "Do it self" are constant phrases around here. But, only a few short minutes later they will be followed by whining pleas for "Mommy" or "help peeeas". It's just as frustrating and exciting for Jack as it is for me.
A menial task, such as getting into the car to go somewhere, can turn into a challenge that causes us to be 15 plus minutes late. Ironically on Independence Day, this is a scenario that took place...
'Jack hop in the car, it's time to go'
Jack climbs half in and gets stuck on the floor board of the car in between the door jamb.
'Here let me help you", (as I begin to boost him up)
'No, ME DO IT!!'
(Hands off--I wait patiently...for quite a while)
Jack struggles while chanting, 'do it self'
Finally he is in and up on the back seat!...and then the challenge starts all over again with getting him into the actual car seat.
On the flip side one of the great perks about Jack's self declared Independence is it's one of my best discipline tools to date. For example, "Jack it's time to go. You can come over here by yourself of Mommy will do it for you." And just like magic, 90% of the time it works. Jack would rather "do it self" than have Mommy do it for him. (That is unless he is in clingy Mommy mode)
So this weekend while Jack was struggling between Mister Independence and " Where is my Mommy?" we celebrated the true Independence of our country with lots of pool time, friends, family and food. It was a nice reminder that anything worth having (in this case Independence) is worth working for...even it makes you 15 minutes late anywhere you go!
Happy 4th to all! Here is a peek at our celebration...
"Jack let me help you with that big boy cup"...Jack answers,"Do it self!"Soooo Patriotic!
Mommy and "Mister Independence"
This is Jack's new photo face...tongue out! I have several pictures from the weekend like this...lucky me!
Okay, I really don't like this picture of Clay and I, but I couldn't resist that precious Jack smirk...mmmm, love that boy!

1 comment:
Oh cute! I'm amazed that he'll let you snap a pic. Miller refuses!!
Happy 4th Cibulas!
~Erica
Post a Comment