Sunday, May 24, 2009

The Name Game

If I've ever needed your help-- it's now. You see, Clay and I are in quite a name dilemma. I realize we don't even know the gender yet. But, because of the "name game" we've been playing, I have more reason to think it's a boy. You see, if it's a girl, we've got a name, no questions, it's a done deal. However, if it's a boy, we are struggling. I can finally say we are getting closer to a conclusion, but not 100% there yet.

The first factor is that I have some rules that I would like to follow (imagine that). I don't have to, but it would be really nice if we could. #1 We need a simple name to go with Cibula-preferably one syllable. Which leads me to #2, no names that end in "s"--it so does not work with Cibula. I would really like it to end in "k" or "t". And #3, we would like something on the traditional side to go with Jack. So here is what we have discussed thus far and the reason we don't or are at least questioning if they work..

Names we like that end in "S":
Max (love it), Thomas, James (family name), Charles (family name)

Names we like that aren't traditional:
Collin (I love it, Clay doesn't), Graham

Clay's Number One Choice, but I can't get past the shortened version:
Patrick (I just can't get past the fact he could be "Pat" one day)

Other traditionals we've tossed around, but can't confirm for one reason or another:
William "will" (too popular?), Peter "Pete" (think about it before you knock it--imagine another little one running around that looked like Jack & how cute does "Jack and Pete" sound?), and Luke (Clay's new fave, but I'm fearful of the popularity issue), Owen

So now your job is to give us some advice. I'm not saying we are going to take it, but I would still like to know your thoughts. Fill in the blanks with each name..." ___ Cibula" and "Jack and ___". Really, it changes a lot--your faves may not be your faves anymore after that little exercise. And if you do have an opinion, please only share the names you like, not the ones you don't. I'm not telling you which one, but I think we are getting close to a final choice and I listed it somewhere up there:)



12 comments:

Courtney Thomson said...

I love Max, we almost used that for Cooper, and I have always loved Graham. I can see you with another precious boy with any of your names however those are my votes!!

The Fokens Family said...

Peter has been a name that you've tossed around for awhile! I love it!! Also, I haven't heard of too many Lukes lately. William is also such a classic...and I like the shortened version, Will.
Max is what we are going to use if we have another boy. I want two "M's" But, my dilemma is finding another middle H name!!

The Fokens Family said...

ooohh..forgot to add, I like Clay's choice Patrick too. Isn't that his middle name? This is fun!!

Heather Dahlby said...

Add Owen to your 'very popular' list . . . I've shot several in the past year. And I LOVE Patrick! He won't be 'Pat' if nobody calls him that. Jim is NOT Jimmy, after all :)

Heather Dahlby said...

Forgot to mention - Jim and I argued and argued about a boy name before we even knew Kate was a girl. I recommend you don't think about it too much until you know! I was so SURE Kate would be Sam, but then all bets were off when we saw the ultrasound ;)

stephanie said...

I like Owen and William. William Patrick Cibula would be a great name and Jack and Will sound cute together. Good Luck!!!!!!!!

Andrea said...

Hey Girl, First I love all of your names. I agree with Stephanie with William Patrick, but I think Charles Luke Cibula, sounds nice,too. (Call him Luke)Luke Cibula sounds like a confident man that knows what he's doing. Some folks don't like going by the middle name, but David is actually James David and it works for us. See you soon.

Tanya said...

I really like Max and Luke, but have to agree with Steph that William Patrick is really cute and sounds great paired with Cibula.

Anonymous said...

I think that of all your choices, "Graham" sounds best phonetically with both Jack and your last name! Have you tried the iVillage naming board? They really have a great group of ladies who helped me name my first child! There is also that "Nymbler" tool which is really quite addictive. If you google it you should find it, it was created by the 'baby name wizard' author.

Allison said...

I like Luke, William and Max but, I think Charles sounds the best with Jack and Cibula! I like Charles Patrick Cibula! I agree with Heather on waiting to find out before you stress too much!;)

Courtney Thomson said...

Okay here is my final vote!!
Graham Patrick Cibula.
How cute is that.

amy said...

What about Jake? I was thinking how cute... Jack and Jake Cibula???? And if you could think of a middle name that begins w/ a H you could reuse all Jack's monogrammed stuff. You know me always being thrifty. Although it would be hard keeping the different names straight. You know I have Caroline and Coco (the dog) I always get the two mixed up. I'm continuously calling Caroline Coco and Coco Caroline :)