Sunday, May 31, 2009

The Big Apple

I had a delicious weekend in "The Big Apple" with my Grandma and my Aunt Scrub, (who surprised us at the airport!). Clay took Jack down to Florida to visit his grandparents. It was just me and 'baby to be' in tow. This pregnant girl wore herself out, but it was a great way to do it. We arrived Friday early afternoon and left late on Sunday and we did not stop for one minute in between!
We arrived Friday, checked into the Marriott in Times Square, and headed out on the town. We did the epitome of tourist activities and boarded a Double Decker bus. It was a great way to see every part of the city. We picked out all of the places we wanted to visit on Saturday during the 2 hour tour. The weather was gorgeous and the company was perfect. We topped of the day with a little walking around and dinner. This mama headed to bed early while Grandma and Aunt Scrub explored some more. I am exhausted right now--this baby is wearing me out!


If I thought I was tired on Friday, I didn't know what was coming on Saturday. We woke early and hit Broadway. We grabbed a bagel and some danishes at a local bakery. We then boarded our bus and headed to the largest Macy's department store. After a little browsing and a purchase for baby Cibula we were back to shopping at local boutiques and shops along the streets. After working up an appetite, we traveled to Greenwhich Village for lunch. We shopped some more in the area, stopped for chocolates-yum! and then taxied it to Central Park. Not embarrassed to be tourists, we took a lovely carriage ride around the park. It felt soooo good to rest my spider vein inflicted pregnant legs. We then walked back to the hotel and grabbed a hot dog on the way. Have I mentioned I am a sucker for baseball and street hot dogs? (My special treat!) At the hotel we got cleaned up and a just tiny bit dressed up for our Broadway evening of Mama Mia at the Winter Garden Theatre! More walking to the theatre, this time only about 3 or 4 blocks. I grabbed a slice of pizza on the way---a pregnant girl has got to eat--and often. The show was fabulous. A real feel-good kind of production. Loved it! We went to dinner after the show and this time I only split a meal. I think I was still full off of hot dogs and pizza. After a very long day, I crashed hard around 12:30pm--that's a late night for me these days.




Sunday was another great day, however we got a later start. I slept in until 9:15 (amazing that I consider that sleeping in these days). But by the time we got packed up, checked out, and our luggage taken care of we only had about half a day to enjoy before we needed to get back to the airport. The weather was gorgeous again so we taxied it to the Sea Port. We originally thought we would try out the Staten Island Ferry, but realized the round trip, with browsing, would leave us little time to do much more, even eat. So we nixed that idea and did some more shopping, strolling, and eating. It was a perfect way to end the weekend. I was bummed about heading home, but so thrilled to be on my way back to Jack , Clay and Cosby. We had a such a great time, we decided to try to make this an annual trip. It's hard to believe that next year I would be leaving a 3 year old and a 6 month old--will I be able to do it?




No comments: