I'm referring to my "terrific two year old".
I felt that I needed to post this in Jack's defense. If I've talked to you, emailed you or you've read the blog in the past two weeks, you've probably heard me vent, or at least mention Jack's "difficult" behavior. I've blamed it on being a two year old and I've blamed it on what I thought was a sinus infection.
Well, yesterday we hit rock bottom. Jack wouldn't eat for the 5th day in a row, he whined incessantly, and then he did the unspeakable. He threw two full out, laying on the ground, screaming, temper tantrums. The first was in public and the second was at home. For the public show, I dragged him by one arm to the car, took him home and put him to bed for a nap. Then I blamed it on being two again. The second one was when I started to get a little suspicious. It was 5 o'clock, I was trying to cook dinner, and Jack sauntered into the kitchen, threw himself on the floor and started raging out of no where. That's when it hit me...we've got an ear infection.
Yes, my child is challenging at times, but temper tantrums are not really his thing. It certaintly happens every once in a while if the mood strikes him right. But, for the past week and a half, we've averaged one a day. And when we hit 2 yesterday, I just knew or at least hoped there was more to this. Don't get me wrong I didn't want my child to be sick, I just wanted an explanation.
I picked Jack up off the floor and held him in my arms right there on the kitchen floor. Within 4 minutes, he was sound asleep. My oven timer was ringing, my microwave was beeping, and I just rocked my sweet baby boy on the kitchen floor. It's almost as if all along those temper tantrums were just Jack's way of asking for his Mommy's arms.
This morning we hit the doctor's office at 8:30am and received a confirmation that Jack had been fighting a double ear infection. He also has an upper respiratory infection which has been the cause for his appetite loss. So the past 12 days, can be blamed on a very sick tot, instead of a budding 2 year old.
I'm happy to say with doses of Motrin and an antibiotic, Jack is already feeling better. The Motrin has obviously lessened the pain and he was in much better spirits this evening. He was full of energy, cooperative, and grinning from ear to ear. Clay and I just looked at each other and smiled a sigh of relief--it's so good to have our Jack "back".
I felt that I needed to post this in Jack's defense. If I've talked to you, emailed you or you've read the blog in the past two weeks, you've probably heard me vent, or at least mention Jack's "difficult" behavior. I've blamed it on being a two year old and I've blamed it on what I thought was a sinus infection.
Well, yesterday we hit rock bottom. Jack wouldn't eat for the 5th day in a row, he whined incessantly, and then he did the unspeakable. He threw two full out, laying on the ground, screaming, temper tantrums. The first was in public and the second was at home. For the public show, I dragged him by one arm to the car, took him home and put him to bed for a nap. Then I blamed it on being two again. The second one was when I started to get a little suspicious. It was 5 o'clock, I was trying to cook dinner, and Jack sauntered into the kitchen, threw himself on the floor and started raging out of no where. That's when it hit me...we've got an ear infection.
Yes, my child is challenging at times, but temper tantrums are not really his thing. It certaintly happens every once in a while if the mood strikes him right. But, for the past week and a half, we've averaged one a day. And when we hit 2 yesterday, I just knew or at least hoped there was more to this. Don't get me wrong I didn't want my child to be sick, I just wanted an explanation.
I picked Jack up off the floor and held him in my arms right there on the kitchen floor. Within 4 minutes, he was sound asleep. My oven timer was ringing, my microwave was beeping, and I just rocked my sweet baby boy on the kitchen floor. It's almost as if all along those temper tantrums were just Jack's way of asking for his Mommy's arms.
This morning we hit the doctor's office at 8:30am and received a confirmation that Jack had been fighting a double ear infection. He also has an upper respiratory infection which has been the cause for his appetite loss. So the past 12 days, can be blamed on a very sick tot, instead of a budding 2 year old.
I'm happy to say with doses of Motrin and an antibiotic, Jack is already feeling better. The Motrin has obviously lessened the pain and he was in much better spirits this evening. He was full of energy, cooperative, and grinning from ear to ear. Clay and I just looked at each other and smiled a sigh of relief--it's so good to have our Jack "back".
p.s. don't get me wrong--he still acts like a 2 year old ;)

4 comments:
Oh, poor Jack!! So glad he's on the road to recovery. :) Hmmmm, if only an ear infection was to blame for Blake's difficult behavior lately. (sigh) But he's healthy as can be ... so I'm going to keep on blaming it on being TWO.
I know what you mean...There's two tantrums and then just plain old sick tantrums. Being a mom is SO tough! If ONLY they could communicate with words what's not feeling well!
I know exactly how you feel. You don't want to be relieved that he's sick but in a way, you are. Now you know what to do! Hope he continues feeling better as his ears heal.
No commment. Just glad Jack is OK :)
Post a Comment