Thursday, October 4, 2007

Perfect

Yesterday was perfect! The kind of perfect of how you imagined life was going to be with a baby when you were still pregnant, before reality hit. You know...no crying, no spills, perfect naps, just smiles all day long. The funny thing is I thought that it was going to be a very "imperfect" day. Clay had to travel for work and wouldn't be home until late at night, no one to cook dinner for, no baby breaks. I thought, "this is going to be a long day". I knew I could handle it...I've done it plenty of times before. I just would have never guessed it would have been, well, "perfect"! It all started when Jack woke up. Instead of giving me that stressful "I'm hungry look", he greeted me with the kind of look that said, "good morning mommy, I'm so happy to see you". He normally waits to give me that look until after he is fed and full. We then continued the happy morning with dancing, diaper changes, books, and our morning walk. We walk the same path every morning. But, yesterday Jack sat straight up in his stroller, hands on the tray, and watched everything around him in complete awe. He smiled and talked to me all about the things he was seeing. It was as if he was noticing our neighborhood for the first time. The day continued with long restful naps, full tummies, and lots of playing. Every afternoon is floor play with Jack. We lay down a blanket, to protect the carpet from his infamous spit up, and I pull a variety of toys out for him to play with. Every time I placed a new toy on Jack's blanket, he laughed, squealed and reached for it. We must of sat on the carpet for over an hour yesterday having a wonderful time. He played with each toy like it was brand new and he had never seen it before. When I thought the day couldn't get any better...we took our nightly bath. I have always placed Jack in his baby tub so that he could lean back. Even though he is sitting up on his own, I figured the bath tub was not the place to perfect his new skill. Well, yesterday, Jack felt differently. Once I placed him in his tub, he continuously leaned forward, as if he was trying to sit up. So, I took him out, turned him around, and put him on the toddler side of his baby tub. I knew he liked it when he gave me a huge smile and reached forward for his wash cloth that was floating in the water. Of course, it went straight to his mouth. But, the exciting part was, I realized he was ready for bath toys. I've put toys in the tub before and they just floated around and got in the way of Jack's nooks and crannies that need to be cleaned. He never played with them or even acknowledged them for that matter. But, since yesterday was "perfect", as soon as I put his dinosaur toys in the tub Jack played with them. He belly laughed when I squirted him, reached for them when they floated by, and taste tested each one. We played for so long that when it was time to get out, Jack was wrinkled from head to toe...one water logged baby! As I gave him his bedtime bottle, I stared at him...like I always do and thanked God for him...like I always do. But, I also thought about everything that happened in our "perfect" day and at that moment I fell in love with him all over again. You know, the kind of "perfect" love you feel when they put that newborn in your arms for the very first time.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Paula,
Reading about you "perfect day' gave me some "perfect moments". Thanks grandma