Sunday, October 7, 2007

Little Pumpkin

This weekend we made our first visit to the Pumpkin Patch as a family. Clay said it was a little premature and I explained to him that pumpkins didn't just mean Halloween, they were a sign of fall. Then he mentioned how it cracks him up that I "have to do everything so early" and I thought, well, "it doesn't crack me up how you have do everything so late". As the saying goes...opposites attract! It had been rainy and cloudy earlier in the day and Jack and I were hoping the rain would hold off for our visit. Luckily it did and, actually, the sun peeked out for a bit. It didn't feel much like a fall day, rather very muggy and warm. Not the kind of weather you would imagine for a Pumpkin Patch day, regardless it was a wonderful visit. When we arrived Jack immediately got a glazed look in his eyes. Clay and I both wondered if he was getting a cold or maybe just really sleepy. Then we realized it was the sea of orange pumpkins that stood before him. He had never seen anything like it...he stared and stared and stared. As if to say, "where am I and why is everything orange?". Sometimes it's easy for us to forget that almost everything is a first for Jack. It's fun to think about what is going through his little mind at a time like that. To peek his curiosity a little more, we sat him down right in the middle of hundreds of pumpkins. Again the glazed look in his eyes and the staring continued. He sat there for almost 5 minutes before he was brave enough to touch his first pumpkin. But, once he took that first feel, it was hands on for the rest of the visit. He wanted so bad to reach out, pick up a pumpkin and put it his mouth. Obviously, the weight of the pumpkins prevented that from happening. While Jack explored, Mommy took lots of pictures and Daddy chose our two prize pumpkins, which now adorn our front porch. On our way out, Jack and I spotted a wagon of "Jack sized" pumpkins. A little smaller than those in the patch, but unfortunately still too heavy to pick up. We let Jack explore the pumpkins in the wagon for a while before we loaded the car and went home. There must have been hundreds of pumpkins there in that patch, however, Clay and I did agree on one thing...Jack was the best looking little pumpkin there.


2 comments:

Heather Dahlby said...

So so cute! Happy Fall to you and your little pumpkin :)

Anonymous said...

Adorable punkin in the pumpkins!!!