Howdy Partners! We are back home {to cold icy weather at that...ugh} after our amazing family vacation out West. As you well know by now, I am a country girl at heart, so this vacation was right up my alley. I pretty much lived in my cowgirl boots, heard country music blaring over every intercom system, and was surrounded by real live wranglers. Now I call that a little slice of heaven.
I imagine it's not too hard to figure out just how this trip came to be. I, obviously, was the one who planned it. Since diaper days, I have been waiting for the littles to be old enough to vacation on a Dude Ranch. My pitiful dream finally became a reality over our Winter break. And, yee- haw,...was I looking forward to it.
After a bit of research I came across Tanque Verde Ranch in Tuscon, Arizona. I was sold with the amazing weather, the resort like accommodations, and the kid's Buckaroo Club. Making sure Lucy was of age to participate was a must.
We flew out on Sunday and with the time change found ourselves with near a half day to get settled and check everything out. Our first day was mainly spent exploring the ranch, getting used to the smell {i.e. horses}, and marveling at the scenery. I mean it was gorgeous!
Mountains, desert life, and cactuses...EvErYwHeRe! So different from home. My kids got the biggest kick out of me "pretending" to sit on a barrel cactus and then, to my demise, the pretending turning into a reality. ouch! Ouch! OUCH! Those things mean business.
Did I mention the scenery was incredible? The crystal blue skies and the sunsets were gorgeous. We were convinced we could see every star in the galaxy, which amazed us city folk.
By Monday morning we were chomping at the bit {pun totally intended} to get on horseback. The kid's headed to the Buckaroo Club for a riding lesson while Clay and I hopped on a couple horses for our first of many trail rides.
Keep in mind neither Clay or I had much of a clue as to what we were doing at that point. Apparently the wranglers had faith in us {or at least the horses} and off we headed to the desert with a guide {thankfully}.
My first horse, Diamond, was by far my favorite. I mean a Diamond is a girl's best friend. I would soon find out he was the most well behaved of any that I would ride.
I was literally in awe of the scenery and fresh air. It was definitely cooler than normal that first day, but it felt great. Layers were the key to that southwest winter.
When we stopped by after our trail ride, the kids had already taken a lesson, were finishing up a craft and about to head to lunch. We always grabbed the kids for meals where we would regroup as a family in the Ranch Dining Room. Which, by the way, had delish food.
After lunch we were back on the saddle again {pun totally intended again}. Because of Lucy's age, she stayed in the corral or on a mini trail. However, Jack and Maggie, were always able to hit the big trails with us.
Clay and I hitched a ride with two new horses and headed out for a trail ride with the big kids.
In a nut shell, Maggie LOVED the riding and Jack could have taken it or left it. As for Lucy, back in her corral, she LOVED it too. Lu didn't even notice{or care} that we were off in the desert without her. Little one made a whole bunch of new "besties" and was completely digging the horses.
Each evening we would wind down as a family back in the Ranch Dining Room {where every meal took place}. The kids enjoyed seeing their friends from the day and we met a few folks too. Lucy, did however pass out, at the dinner table, before food, the first two nights. It soon became a running joke.
From dinner each night, we took a beautiful evening stroll back to our hacienda for an early bed time.
I'll be back with "Take 2 of Tucson" in a few....I've got a lot of pics to get through. It may be the same story, just a different horse, but hopefully I can keep it entertaining.
Until then, this cowgirl is off to bed...

















No comments:
Post a Comment