Each year I like to treat my kids and the cousins to a festive goody basket. Plus all the loot makes for a great photo op {shhh...no need for them to know my ulterior motive}. Last year I scored some hilarious mustaches and sunglasses. This year was a bit more tame.
No 4th basket is complete without a flag {that one is a given}. I also threw in some red and blue glow sticks that were a huge hit come night fall, some sweet star wands for the girls, a pinwheel for Jack, and a couple star bubble necklaces.
The kids grabbed my camera and snapped a few of these. It was so fun to see what they had captured of one another. Total red, white, and blue silliness.
Post that amazingly festive photo session, we changed into our all American swimsuits and hit the lake. We had a massive boat load with a real live American hero at the helm. Such great fun!
We decided to stop at a local marina for lunch. I have to admit I was in complete shock when they actually had available seating for all sixteen of us.
After a very traditional American lunch {we are talking burgers, hotdogs, chicken, and sweet tea} we headed back to the dock for some afternoon swimming.
While these shenanigans were going down, I had to get dolled up and clean for some serious sweetness.
And here's the sweetness...Baby Paul was baptized on America's birthday. {I told you it was a packed day.} And guess who has the most precious honor of being his God Parents?...Clay and I! I was so elated when Joel and Catherine asked us. Such a sweet baby boy and an absolute pleasure to guide him in our faith.
On another "not so sweet" note....my hair! Ugh, my cabin did not come with a blow dryer. And seeing as I had no intentions of needing one {until I fell off the tube}, I didn't pack one. Thank your lucky stars right now that you can't see the back of my head.
We literally left the church on two wheels, changed clothes, and jumped on the boats for the fireworks show over the lake. Somewhere in between all that we scarfed down a bite to eat.
We tied our boats up together so we could all enjoy the show side by side. There was a lot of boat hopping going on {primarily among the children}. Talk about about nerves...I was a ball of them. Happily we all made it back to land safely {and dry}.
And the rest of the evening will pretty much go down in history. Please take a look at this picture...yes, this really happened. And yes, that is my 79 year old Grandma breaking it down with her grandsons. I'm pretty sure she was dancing to Uptown Funk.
And mind you this was after all the driveway fireworks and sparklers had been lit and the littles were snug in their beds. Laaaattteee night...
The rest of the evening {and sadly, into the morning} was spent with a series of dance lessons by a lake bonfire. Everything from swing dancing to break dancing. I mean, how much more all American can it get?
My fave is Catherine giving Jon lessons for his wedding reception...way adorable.
So I while I had an absolute blast with my family, I also learned a few things about some of them.
I never knew Aunt Catherine had been a professional dancer {what?!?!}. And Uncle Joe has some serious moves. So much so he was nicknamed Magic Mike by evening's end. And Aunt Selena is a serious music connoisseur. I have never heard such a music selection in all my life...it was nuts! And finally, Aunt Scrub has no business sitting on coolers.
Quite possibly one of my favorite years celebrating America! Love you crazy Dumbacher family!
Proud to be a Dumbacher and an American! God Bless the USA




























No comments:
Post a Comment