Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Eggs & Lessons

We set up shop on the back porch this afternoon for Easter egg dying.  It was the perfect day to do so.  The weather was glorious and Jack didn't have baseball or karate.  It was an opportunity I had to seize.

The eggs were dyed and decorated to the nines, there were spills and mishaps, lots of giggles and grins, and severely stained fingers and hands by the time it was all complete.

But, above all that, I learned one very valuable lesson.  Or maybe "was reminded" is a better choice of words.  My kids are always teaching me something.  And today was no different.

I was reminded of how fleeting this time is.  Obvious...yes.  But not always remembered.  I sat there and watched my 7 year old sit down to this highly organized and supply filled table, decorate three eggs, and then announce, "I'm going to play".  What?!?!

What happened?  He used to by my baby boy or at least my little guy.  He loved decorating eggs, and baking cookies, and all the other holiday traditions we have.  And now, just like that, three eggs later, he was off in the back yard.  Doing what boys do.

I didn't argue.  I get it.  He's growing up.  And I must allow him to do so.  But, !slam!, what a lesson {or reminder} that was.

Right then and there I had to thank my lucky stars for my little girls.  All the while pushing back thoughts of Maggie ever growing out of this stuff.  Surely not?

And if that day shall ever come, I've always got little Lu...because there is no chance I'm EVER letting her grow up.

How could I?  Look at her go to town.  I found these nifty egg holder painting contraptions at the Dollar Store.  They were one time users as would be expected from the Dollar Store.  And I probably could have gotten away with only two, seeing as how Jack was on the run so quickly.  But, it certainly added a twist to the standard dip and dye.



This kind of project is so up Maggie's alley.  She was having the grandest time experimenting with colors and tie dying.  This was one of her faves.  See...no chance she will ever grow out of this.




I'm thinking Lucy's fingers and fingernails may be permanently stained.  Needless to say, I'm sending three kids to school with rainbow hands tomorrow.  I've already had them practice the explanation in case they are questioned about their hygiene.




My heart skipped a beat when I uploaded this picture of Jack this evening...he looks so much like his Uncle Jon here.  Which, I assure you, is never a bad thing.  So much growing up going on!





I asked Jack to take a picture with his favorite egg before he scooted off.  {and one with his sisters too}  Anyhow, he suggested this...."me eating an egg and looking like I'm not supposed to be".  Mind you this is also the egg he peeled the shell off of and then dyed, just to see what would happen.




And then I got the real deal.



And my favorite...all three of them.  Gotta make the memory last while I can.



On another note, I threw these little Happy Spring/Easter gifts together for the teachers very last minute this afternoon .  A two dollar splurge per teacher.  I found the water bottles and the chocolate carrots at the Dollar Store.  {And in case, you are wondering, yes, I am in there way too often lately.}

I added a bit of Easter grass and a cute note.  Hope it brings a smile to their faces.  They are beyond appreciated in my eyes.


Next up...Daddy's birthday, Easter, and Spring Break...we can hardly wait!




No comments: