Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Lucky

My day was hardly filled with luck.  In fact it was riddled with one mishap after another.  The irony of it all is what actually got me through.

We did, however, start the day with a Top O' The Morning breakfast.  I made a conscious point not to go overboard because if you may remember last year Maggie hated {and that is not a stretch} that her breakfast didn't look the same.  Like the cantaloupe was "shaped" wrong.  And so on and so on.  Lucy just smiled through it like it was any other breakfast.  And Jack only went nuts over the Lucky Charms.

So why not take it easy this year?  Just as last year, the kids did wake up to a trail of shamrocks from their bedroom doors, down the stairs and all the way to their breakfast.



And a pom pom rainbow over the kitchen table. Which please forgive my masking tape, again, I was trying not to go overboard.  {Trust me how to construct a wired arch traveled through my brain more than once until I realized the insanity of it.}



And finally, individual cups of Lucky Charms.  {which only happens once a year}



And now, wouldn't you know that Maggie's face turned to sheer disappointment when she hit the kitchen table.  "Why didn't the leprechaun make my St Patrick's Day breakfast this year?" "and my green plate?" and "my green milk?".  "And why isn't there a rainbow tablecloth?".

My response was simple...because you didn't like green milk or a rainbow cantaloupe or your waffle shaped liked a shamrock last year.  Remember?  And isn't the rainbow above your head BEAUTIFUL?

Maggie proceeded to explain that she is older now and she actually does like all that and "how would the leprechaun know that she didn't like it anyway"?  And then she searched every kitchen cabinet for a green plate.

Can't win for losing.  So that was how our day started.  {I must note Jack and Lucy were happy...and Maggie did recover very quickly}

Jack headed off to school with a very green lunch and two lucky notes.



And I sent the girls off to school in the greenest outfits I could find {which Maggie has recently decided she no longer likes}.  But she did absolutely adore these glittery shamrocks her leprechaun left behind.


{and in Maggie's defense she is truly easy going, flexible, and primarily a happy girl...unless she doesn't like her outfit}



And dear Lucy, well, she's just a two year old hoot.


I suppose I am pretty lucky after all!

Happy St. Patrick's Day Friends!  Hope yours was LUCKY!


No comments: