Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Treasure In The Treetops

I just love when I find a little treasure especially when it's in our backyard.  When I heard about Treetop Quest I just knew it was something I had to check out with Jack.  The only thing I couldn't figure out is why I hadn't heard of it before.  I mean, geez, didn't I know anywhere and everywhere to take a kid around here?

When I found out it was a mere three years old, it all made sense.  Jack was only 4 years old back then and I certainly wouldn't have been looking for anything of this nature at that time.

But this summer was perfect timing.

Okay, when I say "our backyard" I have to be honest.  It was a good thirty-five minute drive, but it was totally worth it.  Treetop Quest is located somewhere where there is no shortage of foliage which proved to be extremely beneficial in blocking the summer elements.  It contains five leveled obstacle courses way up high in the treetops {hence the name} and no shortage of adventure.

Jack was tall enough and old enough for the first three courses.  And trust me that was plenty.  We were slap worn out by the end of the third one.



Upon arrival, Jack and I were garbed up in all of our gear...a harness, gloves, two hooks, and a pulley.  We were given a short introductory course which I failed miserably.  The instructor assured me that it would all make sense once I was out on the courses.  I wasn't so sure.


We set out to the first platform of Course One.  I was in front, assuming that made sense, considering I was the adult after all.  It didn't take long for Jack and I to realize reverse order was the best for our pairing.  I am not even kidding when I say my 7 year old was guiding me and reminding of the instructor's directions!  He picked up so quickly and being the, apparently, slow learner that I am had to take his lead.  By the fifth platform I finally had it down and it was smooth sailing from then on.  And just as the instructor had said, it was all starting to make sense.

Courses One and Two were a series of rope obstacles, wooden ladders, and balancing acts all intermittent with a few Zip lines.





By this point in our visit we were both pretty sticky hot.  Jack and I were both exceptionally excited to learn that our final course consisted of solely Zip Lines.  The self made breeze was a fabulous way to end our adventure and in turn cool off.



After over an hour and a half of this, I was wiped out.  And I'm pretty confident Jack was too.  But he just couldn't resist the urge to check out the Spider Quest before calling it a day.  The Spider Quest is a huge net hanging above the treetops that is filled with even more obstacles.

I don't know how this one mustered up the energy but somehow he did.  And then he even claimed this to be one of his favorite parts.




After another half hour of this, we exited via a ginormous slide.  Once on the ground Jack nearly drank his weight in water.

I have to say this may go down as one of my favorite days of this summer.  The obstacles were a perfect balance of challenging and doable {for both of us}, the staff was beyond polite and helpful, and the grounds were pristine.

They also have a "Chick Pea" course for ages 4-6.  If I feel brave enough, I may just give this another whirl with Maggie in tow.

Not to mention it will give Jack and I a great excuse to visit our treasure in the treetops.




2 comments:

Grammy said...

Wow, that looks like fun and Jack agrees.

The Fokens Family said...

Oh, so much fun!! I'd love to do this with Miller. You're such a great mom to plan an outing just for J:)