Friday, June 20, 2014

A Camper's Delight

The bigs just finished up their first week of camp.

Well, if I'm being completely accurate it was Maggie's first and Jack's second. Somehow I got talked into an additional camp week for him when he was invited by some classmates to attend one at the nature center.  He had been wanting to give it a whirl and who was I to say no when the opportunity presented itself.  I am thrilled that I caved, he had an incredible time.  He can even paddle a canoe properly now.  He will be more than happy to show you if asked.

But, let me get to the actual planned and scheduled, nearly four months out, camps that they attended this week.  Maggie always hits the camp put on her by her school every summer.  I was a bit hesitant when I found out the theme was S'mores Camp this year.  Not exactly her first love.  As a matter of fact, Mags isn't even sure if she likes marshmallows.  The verdict is still out.  Crazy, huh?

But, when she realized it revolved around "camping" she was all in.  And not because she likes to camp.  She's actually never even done it.  But must we be reminded that Jack lives to camp in the great outdoors so therefore Maggie was happy to do a little "camping" of her own.  She came home each day sporting some sort of camping or s'mores artwork and Jack was the first one she proudly showed it off to.

Even with the occasional bickering it seems my Maggie still looks up to and adores her big brother. {sigh}



Maggie literally came home from camp each day with a giant smile plastered on her face.  I'm still trying to figure out what she enjoyed so very much about her week.  I did get out of her that her favorite part was the "science lab".  Another one of Jack's passions.  I think she was feeling mighty big getting to do the things Jack does.  I, of course,  was just happy that she was happy.

I'm feeling come July when she attends Cinderella Dance Camp, she will truly be in her element.  I'm looking forward to that grin.

Jack, on the other hand, attended a camp that was perfectly suited for him.  Just like the previous two summers, his first camp request was Science Camp.  What will I ever do with this brainiac?

His program of choice was Little Robot Inventors.  And although my mind does not sway that way, I have to admit this was pretty stinking incredible.

The parents were invited in on the last day to view the Tin Can Robot Races.  I was having some difficulty visualizing this one.  But geez, was I impressed once I arrived.  Look at these things those little engineers in the making created.




And yes, they moved {three different ways mind you} and yes, they raced.



All that was needed was a little steering assistance from the inventors.



I'm not convinced anyone really won the race {there was a some illegal maneuvering going on}, but Jack swears he did because "he followed the race rules".  Either way, I was extremely impressed with the inventing and subsequently left wondering why this engineering/math/science gene skipped right over me.

And as if that wasn't cool enough, Jack got to take home a RC Circuit Board Rover.  If you aren't familiar with these they are pretty amazing and retail around 80 bucks.  It's endless hours of building and inventing engineer style.  

I'm thinking {or at least hoping} I won't hear the "I'm bored" phrase for the rest of the summer.

So with camp week one {or two if we are being honest} down, it's time to hit up those Summer Lists again.  

And we're off...




No comments: