Sunday, July 28, 2013

Medieval Times


We got a taste of the Medieval Times on Friday.  The things my kids have come up with this summer.  Actually, if I'm being honest, I planted the seed for this one.  Don't judge.

Back in January, Clay and I attended a very elaborate auction night hosted by Jack's school.  We couldn't leave there empty handed {ie. not donate to the cause} so we bid on tickets to the Medieval Times show at the local castle.  Surprisingly, we won {totally joking on the surprise part}.  I did, however, think it would be something unusual and fun for the kiddos.  So why not?

Up until today, we kept our win a secret.  Since the castle visit never made it Jack and Maggie's "summer list", I made it a point to exclaim each time I saw a billboard around town.  Soon enough the seed was planted, soon enough they were begging to go, and finally I was able to pull out the surprise.  The day seemed fitting for a royal outing with the birth of the royal baby and all.

Maggie chose to wear a dress because we were going to a castle, naturally.  She was completely mesmerized when we arrived and were greeted so eloquently by the King and Princess themselves.  And though Jack would never admit it {that whole princess thing} he was pretty awe struck by the castle interior and it's housed royalty.  But nothing like when the show actually started.



It didn't take Jack long to get entranced by the thought of knights and a royal castle.  He immediately chose his souvenir and donned his suit of armor.  He took this role very seriously as he convinced Maggie that it was his job to protect all princesses.  Maggie was way too enamored with her new sparkly princess wand to participate in his game of charades.  But I can promise that since we have arrived at home the role play {costumes and all} has been going on all weekend.




After the gift shop and castle stroll we were given our tickets for entry. We were seated in the Green Kingdom or more technically the Kingdom of Leon.  As we prepared for the Knight's games and the final battle we were served some serious Medieval food.  A chicken leg, corn on the cob, and potatoes {all to be eaten with our hands}. That's a really heavy lunch.  I can't say that I would have survived in the Medieval period.



When the Knights arrived in the arena on horseback our Royal family did all we could to cheer on the green knight.  It seems he was very smitten by our support because he gave Maggie and I a pink carnation.  Since then it has been placed in a vase on her dresser.  We've all been strict instructions not to touch it, move it, smell it, you name it.



I would be remiss if I didn't give you a visual of the show itself.  Jack could not get enough of it. And  I mean seriously. While Maggie spent her time concerned that the bad knight would win and the princess would have to marry him.  As expected there was a happy ending.  Maggie left with a sigh of relief.



However, I won't give away which Knight did prevail.  I would hate to ruin it for any of you future castle goers out there {because I know this post has enticed you}.  I will say the kids thoroughly enjoyed it.  It was definitely worth an afternoon {we hit the matinee} and it was certainly worth the countless hours of knight and princess play that has been going on around here all weekend.

I'll leave you with this...my very valiant Knight and my very over tired Princess...at the castle drawbridge...






2 comments:

Erin said...

very cute...i actually wanted to take Nate for his birthday but we didn't get a chance to go. I hope to take them soon though!

The Fokens Family said...

Eek!! I'm inspired. You are having a FUN summer!