Tuesday, July 2, 2013

A Couple Of Firsts


We've had a couple of "firsts" around here this week.  And believe it or not they weren't the littlest sister's. Actually big time firsts for Jack and Maggie.  Summer just keeps the excitement coming.

We started the week with Maggie's very first drop off playdate.  With non other than her "best fwrend", Elise.  We scheduled this back in June and since then Maggie has had nothing but intense anticipation.  I'm pretty sure she's told everyone from the check out girl at Target to the lifeguard at the pool, that "Elise is coming to my house to play".

The playdate did not disappoint.  The girls had a lovely time together.  I, for one, got to experience the polar difference in boy playdates vs girl playdates.  {not even fair all you momma's of only girls and bless you momma's of all boys}

And although, I adored observing the gentle play of two girly girls, my favorite part was watching Magpie perfect her hosting skills.  "Elise this is where my snacks are...do you want one?", "Elise this is where your shoes go in my house", "Elise this is where my potty is...do you need me to help you?", "Elise here is a stool to wash your hands and you can use my new soap", and on and on until I'm sure Elise wanted to scream, "enough already".  Okay, maybe not, I like to think Elise liked her dear friend showing her the ropes and I was certainly proud of Mags.  

Elise did seem to have a wonderful time at our house minus the addition of boys {Jack had a playdate too}.  Poor little gal looked like a deer in headlights when those two wild things came whipping through a room.  Elise is from an all girl family.  Maggie, on the other hand, didn't even flinch.  I had to evacuate the boys a couple times to prevent a panic attack on Elise's end.

Other than that the girls had an adorably precious playdate complete with tea parties, cooking in the kitchen, princesses, art, and the sandbox.





Our other "first" only two days in to July, was the Movie Theatre.  As odd as it sounds this was a first for both of the bigs.  A definite first for Maggie and for Jack too, if you don't count that time two or three years ago when Grammy took him to a 3D movie that he refused to wear the glasses for.  He watched a blurry screen and had absolutely no clue what was going on.  We have chosen to void that experience.

Since then, Jack has wanted nothing to do with the big screen until this week.  Surprisingly this was his idea.  Another addition to his summer list.  I vow to stamp "Finalized" upon completion on next summer's list.

We caught a matinee of Monsters University.  A first for me in that we were the first movie goers to arrive.  The doors were still locked.



Luckily it gave me the chance to catch a quick picture of the cutest audience members before we bought our admission.  Maggie was in charge of the tickets as I wrangled the camera, spilled juice cups in my purse, and the ever bouncy Jack.



Once inside the kiddos ordered up two kids snack packs and we made our way to the theatre {a trail of popcorn in our wake}.  Jack pocketed his bounce for the duration of the movie and unexpectedly Maggie sat through the entire show in her own seat.  I hardly heard a peep from her after the previews were over. During those, I got, "is this the movie?" and "is it over?" about 22 times.

The movie was super cute and I was super thankful for a little adult humor to get me through.  The kids most definitely enjoyed it.


I can hardly believe that it is already July, but I'm thinking we've started it out right.  More summer fun to come...




1 comment:

Erin said...

getting caught up...ok, Maggie and her mermaid dance is ridiculously cute (and I didn't even have to see it to know for sure) and her extreme happiness over the playdate is too much. Oh, to have a sweet girl... :)

And I wish Nate had done that science camp with Jack...he would have loved it!!