Monday, July 8, 2013

Rain Rain Go Away



I saw the sunshine peek through this morning.  Completely shocking.  I wasn't sure what to do besides halt construction on our ark and take my hair out of this pony tail it's been living in for a week.

This weekend was a different story. Since the rain wouldn't go away, we decided to get away from the rain {or at least try}.

Our only options were to drive far far away or find an indoor activity.  So we did both.  Did I mention I had two extremely antsy kids on my hands?

Try to imagine this....but, Jack has been wanting to do that Wild Animal Safari drive through thing that's south of town for quite a while now.  If you keep up with this blog, I would assume that doesn't surprise you.  He is slightly animal and geography obsessed at this stage in his life.

Very impromptuly, we loaded up the car and headed down for the 90 mile trek on Saturday.  I don't recommend the impromptu part, but I do recommend making the visit.

It is certainly an all day event with the travel time.  Plan to forgo naps if that is a factor.   Daddy stayed home with Lucy.  Had I known that she was going to voluntarily cut her nap in half, I probably would have brought her with us {I think she was just missing us}.  Maggie handled the lack of nap better than expected.  It should catch up with us by this evening though.

So Grandma, Mags, Jack and myself headed into the unknown and arrived at the Wild Animal Safari...in the middle of no where.  We chose to take the tour guided bus {you can actually take your own car or rent a van from them}.  I'm glad we chose the bus, the driver had lots of insight for us.  Like which animals can bite....pretty valuable information.  We may brave the rented van next visit since we have a bit more knowledge.  I can confidently say, we will never take our own car.

We fed animals special feed straight from the bus windows.  They literally climbed in with us and stuck their heads straight through any openings.  We sat in the first row of the bus taking up both sides.  Perfectly ideal to hop back and forth to see creatures on either side of the bus, but even better for when the driver had animals {like the giraffe} stick their necks in straight across his lap.  It was pretty nuts.

Although, the majority of us found that to be the most amazing part, Maggie's was the petting zoo.  She could not get enough of the baby llamas and deer.  I imagine they were well fed that day.

By the way, I got new sunglasses, and this picture confirms...I hate them...











When we had no choice but to return to town and more rain, we set our sights on an indoor activity for Sunday.  This, obviously, was a Maggie choice.  And Grandma.  They both love to paint.  Jack reluctantly tagged along and then decided it wasn't so bad after all.  Still not a first choice.

We scoured the town for a pottery place that was open before nap time on a Sunday.  With a little luck we finally found one.

I cracked up at the big's choices.  Maggie chose a cat holding a fish...I can't wait to display that in my home.  And Jack chose a present.  I will give him the fact that there wasn't much for six year old boys to choose from.  But, his rational was, that he could "keep stuff in it".  {it had a lid}  Great, just what we need, one more place for my kids to hoard junk.

Gladly we had some dry fun....and Grandma got to make a plate with all three kiddos hand prints on it. Yes, Lu was with us.  It was lovely to have her.  And also very challenging to keep all the pottery in one piece with her curious little hands.  Needless, to say, I did not paint.




As we glance ahead at the week's forecast, it looks like we are going to be screaming "rain, rain go away" as opposed to singing it.  Feel free to join in the chorus.  A momma of three can only keep the indoor entertainment coming for so long.




No comments: