Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Trim Their Tree


Trimming our own family tree and the kid's tree just wasn't enough this year.  Thank goodness for the Heilman's.  They invited us to a "Trim Our Tree" party.  Their white retro tree, that is.  So out of the norm for me and oh, so fun to shop for.

I was on a mission for green or hot pink ornaments {per the invite request}.  Doesn't sound too challenging, huh?  But, it was.  Maybe it was just my Christmas shops of choice.  This traditional gal was struggling.  But, finally, lo' and behold, I found what I was on my search for.  I got an awesome green lantern shaped bulb with a fabulous ribbon for Jack to hang.  And I got a, not quite as fabulous, but still cute, pink spiral bulb, for Maggie to hang.

All was well, I was feeling pretty accomplished until the night before the party.  Yes, less than 24 hours before bobble hanging time, I dropped Jack's bulb on the hardwood floor. {insert a smash and crash here}  Seriously, when did I become such a klutz?  Off to plan B {which seems to happening often lately}, I had to make a super fast run out on Saturday morning to replace the broken ornament, only to find they were sold out.  {Told you I picked out a beauty} So now to plan C, first store I could find, park, run in {literally}, and grab a "not as cute" green ornament. How bummed was I?  Fortunately, Jack didn't have a clue {but, now the Heilman's do}.

The happy ending to this story...we made it to the party with two intact ornaments and the party was over the top fabulous.  I'm still debating what was tastier the White Russians or Donna's signature salmon and caper rolls {yum, I am a sucker for salmon and these things are so delish}. Not to mention, the kids were in tiny tot and toy heaven,  There must have been 30+ kids there and at least 10 times as many toys.  A party for all ages.

So, I was kind of hoping this would become a yearly tradition, but I can't figure out how we could "trim the Heilman's tree" every year.  Hmmm...still thinking on that one.


Jack and Maggie pre-party.  Please note how clean {and festive} they are.



Jack hanging his Plan B Plan C green ornament.



Maggie was one of the last to hang her ornament, you know she needed her staple 45 minute warm up time.



Don't ask me what we were thinking or why we thought this would work, but a few of us tried for a group picture on our way out the door.  Lot's of things clearly wrong with this...it was post party, it was late, kids were wooound up, Clay had been drinking and still was {just kidding, honey}, it was getting cold outside, and the host family is missing.  Even more reason to have this party next year...picture retakes.



1 comment:

Donna said...

And a fine job you did!! And now I know which ornaments are yours. Love them! Maggie's got moved up the tree. We all had a blast. Maybe I'll get a bigger tree next year?? I'll have to think of something because we had fun! Thanks for coming and plans A-C!

Merry Christmas, Cibulas!!!