Saturday, December 10, 2011

Merry Christmas to Mommy


Christmas is about the kids...that is my motto {circa 2007}.  I would seriously be perfectly happy if I didn't have one present to open on Christmas morning and just got to watch my kiddos.  I know all you Moms out there can relate.

But, we all know that is not going to happen.  Clay is going to get me something {because that is what husbands do} and of course, my Mom {well, because that is what Mom's do too}.  So this year I reluctanlty verbalized my wish list and poof, here it is 15 days early.

Now, that my {very early} unwrapping is complete, I really can have my favorite gift of all...enjoying my Christmas morning present free with all my attention on Jack and Mags.  And until then...I am lovin' my early Christmas loot {and meal time is slowly getting easier}.  Thanks Mom and Clay!



My new fab bench for the kitchen table.  I am thrilled with this!  Mags is permanently out of the high chair and now with the bench, I don't have to worry about her doing back bends in her chair, nearly tipping it over every night and in turn, nearly giving me a heart attack.  And if that wasn't enough, I've added extra seating to my table...anyone want to come over for dinner?



I couldn't stop there with new seating.  Three {just in case we ever make up our mind} new bar stools.  And these are actually bar height, not counter!  So my hungry kids can sit at the bar and actually reach their plates.  This has been heaven at breakfast.  No more navigating around the bar to get to the breakfast table to deliver spoons, extra napkins, a verbal warning, etc. while I'm trying to do all the other things that school mornings entail.  Aahhh...talk about a gift of peace.



And if you are lucky enough, you just might have one of these sweet things to climb all over your new furniture.  Is she yummy or what?



And no, this is not one of my Christmas presents {but, it sure could count as one}.  However, the new camera lens is!  Clearly, I don't have a clue how to use it.  {I am waiting on Erica's family to heal so she can give me a tutorial...sending "get well" dust her way}.  But I sure have had fun playing with it.



It's a portrait lens.  I wanted the cool "blur in the background" look.  I've gotten pretty good at the inanimate objects, i.e. Maggie's sippy cup, Jack's spoon, tree ornaments.  But, as you may have guessed, I didn't put this lens on my list to take pictures of sippy cups.  It was, actually for the kids {I'm beginning to see a common thread in Christmas gifts this year...hmmm}. And unfortunately, it's the kids that are nearly impossible for me to get the effect with.  If they would just sit statuesque still....uhrumph.  What is wrong with my 2 and 4 year old?



3 comments:

The Zimmermans said...

I have so much to learn about taking pictures, will you teach me in our spare time! Hooray for much deserved mommy gifts!

ericafokens said...

Bump up your shutter speed to about 50 to help with kid shots in manual mode. Set apeture to 1.8 for single kids...3.2...4 ish for two. You'll have to play a little:))

The Harris Family said...

Awesome pictures! Is his what my portrait setting does, or do I need a new lens too? I don't think my pictures blur as perfectly as yours!