It's the "calm before the storm" at the Cibula house. As I write this Christmas day is actually 9 hours and 43 minutes away. The many moments leading up to this have been busy. Since school let out, we have been counting down til' Christmas totally kid style. But, for the first time in several days, I am taking a brief moment to myself.
The kids are napping, I am clearing off my camera, and preparing for what I suspect will be the best Christmas morning to date. How could it not be? Jack's anticipation is absolutely contagious and Maggie is just a little bubble of happiness. Christmas morning will be good, I can feel it. Two and four, those sound like pretty happy Christmas ages, huh?
Jack's anticipation has certainly been fueled by the last few days of activities. This is what we have been up to on our countdown to Christmas.
We exchanged Christmas presents {early} with Uncle Jon. In case you didn't know, and you probably didn't because I haven't blogged about it, Jon has been staying with us doing an Engineering Internship. His 3 month stay is coming to an end and we are going to miss him dearly. He has been a fabulous house guest. The kids agree since he got Jack a Batman toy {his latest obsession} for Christmas.
And an Elmo chair for Maggie. Currently, Maggie is living in this chair. Okay, so maybe that is a slight exaggeration, but not much more. She adores this thing. And as much as I am anti-too many toys in the living room, I can't bring myself to take this thing to the playroom {yet, anyway}. Maggie can be found doing pretty much anything {or nothing} in her new chair. Sometimes she's in the living room just hangin' in her chair.
We spent Christmas Eve Eve {which Jack thinks is hilarious to say} at Catch Air. So either I am so out of the loop or people have been keeping an awesome secret from me and my kids, but this place is great. I am not a bounce house venue fan, but I will endure it for Jack's sake. However, this was actually fun....and clean! There were such a variety of activities and so much climbing and crawling. I'm all about the crawling for my kids...firm believer in the crawling/reading thing.
I think the place could have been an empty warehouse and Jack wouldn't have cared as long as "Millah" {Miller} was there. These boys can wear each other out and I love it.
Maggie was definitely a fan of Catch Air, but of course, needed her warm up time. And a few 'cling to Mommy' moments if something was new or unusual. But, other than that, I could tell she was having a great time. Her favorite...the giant green slide. Something about this gal and slides!
And the countdown brings us to this morning...Christmas Eve . Yes, we forgot Christmas Eve Eve jammies again, but at least we have aprons. Especially Maggie's festive one, compliments of the Fokens. Thanks Miller and Eliza Kate!
Our annual Christmas Eve Tradition of Gingerbread Men and a House did not disappoint this year. Even Daddy was way in on the action. I just love how Jack is already in to our traditions. He reminded me a few days ago that on Christmas Eve we do the Gingerbreads. Of course, I had remembered that, but to hear my 4 year old anticipate it was rather endearing. I hope we are making lasting memories for each of them.
Jack needed very little help this year. He is getting so grown up {when he wants to be}. He did all the icing himself and was very particular about the placement of each piece of candy. It was a regular work of art when he was finished. I made the mistake of saying, "it looked like a monster gingerbread man". It seriously looked like it had 5 eyes, but I quickly learned those were his nose and mouth. For a moment I didn't know if Jack was going to laugh or cry at my comment. He chose to laugh...sheeeew! {insert swipe of the forehead here}
We topped off our Gingerbread party with the house for our little men. At this point we had mentally lost Maggie. She was more into transferring candy from one dish to another and listening to it clink against the glass. Jack was still going though. Again, he was very particular about where everything went, even the pieces he was sneaking into his mouth. And yes, you guessed it, he declared he had a "belly ache" when we were all done. That's two for two this week. So much for natural consequences.
My moment to myself is quickly coming to an end. It's time for me to get dressed for Christmas Eve mass and then wake my kiddos for the same. We are off to tell Jesus Happy Birthday {by the way, Jack asks me every year if Jesus will be at Church so he can wish him Happy Birthday...how sweet, huh?}. I thought I'd leave you with this pictures of our small nativity scene that is in our living room. It is just eye level for Maggie and perfectly reachable for Jack, so I am not sure who the culprit is. But everyday, Mary, Joseph, baby Jesus, and the angel are in a new arrangement. I had to laugh when I saw this one today. They are in an absolute perfect line {almost like they are walking down the school hallway...hmmm? could that be a clue?} And note, poor Mary is missing a hand.
This is the stuff that I pray I never forget. Merry Christmas to all! Wishing you a blessed and joyous day with your little culprits.





1 comment:
Such Christmas cuteness! You have been busy....loving your new lens!
Post a Comment