But, on a few rare occasions, I find something new that surprises me a bit. And today was one of those days.
Jack, gratefully, was invited for a drop off playdate at his buddy Nate's house. {thanks Erin for that--it made his week}. And well, trying to be a great Mommy, I planned a few Mommy and Maggie activities. I thought I could take her to one of those
You see Maggie is different. Quiet, a little more laid back, a take it easy kind of girl. And where as they are both very cautious kids, Jack still likes the "energy burn" a place like that can offer. Maggie on the other hand did not.
As I was paying, I could see the skepticism in her eyes. She wasn't so sure about the bright lights, the noise, the excitement, but it was okay as long as she was in her Momma's arms. Of course, I knew we would spend our time in the toddler area, but I didn't know that she would flat out tell me she was "done" within the first 3 minutes on a bouncy. I tried again...and again...and again...and well, it just wasn't her cup of tea, even with Mommy's arms wrapped around her.
So $5 later, I learned a very valuable lesson. Maggie is not Jack. She does not need entertainment, she just needs to be with her Mommy. And it really doesn't matter what we are doing, just as long as she feels loved and she is with me. What a nice lesson.
From there, I packed Maggie and our bag up and we went shopping {something I NEVER would have done with Jack at 20 months old}. And...she loved it. We touched things gently, talked about what we saw, sat in new chairs, fluffed pillows, and we were just together. Maggie was happy and content. Like the Maggie I know and adore.
We followed up with a little lunch date and ice cream. Such a treat for my doll baby. And it was such a treat for me to watch her devour it. And as I watched her, it hit me, how different they really are and how different their needs are. It was a somewhat stressful day, but once I figured it all out, I decided it was well worth it. Maggie was only trying to tell me that she doesn't need all the bells and whistles...I am enough for her...a day with only Mommy is enough for her. And to my dear Maggie...I feel the same exact way!
I foresee lots of shopping and lunch dates in our future...and that's a valuable lesson I can live with.
There it is...that look of "I'm not so sure about this".
The pseudo housekeeping area was much more up her alley, but still not perfect.
An ice cream treat after Mommy finally figured it all out.
Hmmm....I don't know about this fork and ice cream.
A spoon...so much better!
And look at this great pot Maggie and I found on our shopping adventure at Ballards. Perfect for our new patio area. Now I just need to find a plant that does not require sunlight or water on a regular basis. Wish me luck...







1 comment:
Glad you got to spend some one-on-one time figuring Maggie out. :) And I am so envious of your future lunch dates and girl time!! ha
I think i big poofy fern would look good in that pot..easy to care for but you may have to water it every now and then. :)
Post a Comment