Monday, August 22, 2011

Last One




This was the "last one"...summer vacation that is.  We have had more weekend trips this summer than I care to count.  Always a pleasure and always a lot of work too.  There is so much to get together for these short little stints out of town, which in turn is so much to unpack upon returning. {Note to self---a couple looong vacations next summer}.  Don't get me wrong though, this last one was definitely worth it.

We ended our summer {it's still considered a summer vacation even though we started school, right?} with a visit to one of my favorite ladies in the world, GG {my Grandma, the kid's Great Grandma}. I can never get enough of that wonderful woman.  She is truly a gift from God and so special to all of us.  My kids immediately take to her and it's no wonder why.  Not to mention, her house on the lake is full of adventure.

And "adventuring" is just what the kids did.  Jack spent a majority of his vacation searching for a lost treasure {that boy's imagination had us all in explorer mode}.  And Maggie contented herself with adventuring up and down GG's hardwood steps...over and over again.  Both kiddo's were in agreement that rock tossing in the lake and a boat ride were pretty exciting too.

No need to use your imagination to picture the fun, I've got it all right here...



Ever since Magpie was a baby there has been something about the wind that has fascinated and soothed her.  Now as a toddler, it has the same effect on her.  I just love it!



Jack took the front and center seat on the boat and outwardly wished for giant waves.  And this is where we had a little impromptu lesson on oceans vs lakes.



Sweet GG with two sweet grandchildren.  {I love how she matches the kids--totally not planned, well, the kids were, just not GG--see I told you she was perfect without even trying}.




The infamous stairs.  Oh, and how could I have forgotten to mention her infamous loot?  And her infamous shoes?  Maggie has somehow managed to become a hoarder of sorts.  Okay, so we brought Boo {the lovey} and Elmo with us from home.  The purse, shoes, and baby doll, she found around GG's house and WOULD NOT part with them.  They went up and down the stairs and everywhere else with her.  And guess how many times we put those too big shoes back on her feet and repacked her little purse?




One of my favorite parts of GG's house...the fact that anytime of the day you can just walk out the back door and down to the lake.  This was a perfect after breakfast trip.  A little morning sunshine and the shedding of pj's never hurt anyone.  Apparently, we forgot to pack our modesty.




4 comments:

Erin said...

How wonderful...I know I still remember and love the summer I spent at GG's! :) And I think it is hysterical that jack just strips down...too funny. Glad you got to have one last hoorah of summer!

Tanya said...

They are so cute, Paula! Jack has gotten so tall. Glad you had a great Summer!

The Cibulas said...

Hey Paula,
Larkin has started a blog now too. hee hee
cibuladoll.blogspot.com
She wanted you to look at it.
Hope you having a great week!
Catlin

The Fokens Family said...

Love the new header pictures! Your family is so beautiful. Glad you were able to squeeze one last lake weekend in. Your kids will have wonderful memories of going to their GG's!
~Erica