Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Back To School For Two




We are officially back to school at the Cibula house.  As always, so bittersweet.  It was definitely needed...we strive on routine around here, but hard to believe that each of my babies are growing up this fast.

The big difference this year...it was back to school for TWO!  It's kind of incredible to think that this was Maggie' first day of pre-school and Jack's last first day of pre-school.  The latter is what tears me up.  Next year is going to be tough.  But, for now, I am learning to juggle two school bags, two snack calenders, two sets of party dates, and basically two schedules in general.  This Type A Mommy's head is spinning right now.

We spent the Friday before school meeting teachers, perusing the halls, and meeting old and new friends.  I am relieved to say that I am happy with both of the kid's teachers {I can get a bit picky}.  Jack's teacher, Ms. Mary, is super academic, very structured, but soft spoken at the same time.  Perfect for my little monkey.  And as for Maggie, well let's just say I made her needs known via a friendly little letter to the director.  Thankfully it all worked out in my favor.  Her teacher, Ms. Meredith, is warm, loving, young, and energetic.  An absolute perfect match for my Magpie.


But, I am happy to report that all went well for both.  Jack was a little unsure when we reached his classroom door on Monday morning.  Change is not his thing {nor mine}.  But, certainly no tears, but not exactly a giant smile either.  He was slow to step inside, but once in the door, this loitering Mommy saw that all was well and his smile had reappeared.  Jack has never been one for a lot of description, so basically all I got out of him at the end of his first day was, "Sophia is my best friend in the class" and "Playground time is my favorite part of the day".   Take it as you will, but I am just happy that both comments were positive!

And then there was shy little Maggie's first day.  I will not lie, I was bracing myself for this one.  Would love to tell you she walked right in without a tear, but we all know better than that.  No Maggie, opened the flood gates even before I could get her 3 feet from the door.  How do they know?  The great part though, was Ms. Meredith snatched her right out of my arms before I had a chance to 'talk too much'.  So basically, I said "I love you Mags" and "Mommy will be right back".  And just like that she was an official  pre-school student in the toddler room.

It won't surprise you that I did do some loitering and peeking there as well.  And this is where Mags pleasantly surprised me.  She was out of her teacher's arms, standing next to the puzzle table {observing}, no tears in her eyes and Elmo in a head lock.  All was well.  Sweet Ms. Meredith came out to tell me, "Maggie was doing great!"  I then skipped out of that school with a smile plastered on my face and NO kids attached to me for the first time in a loooong time!

Since then, when we talk about school Maggie smiles, points to her hand constantly where she got her Elmo stamp the first day and tells me about the "bay" {baby} she played with.  As long as I don't see any 'no' head shakes, I know we are good!

So, I am foreseeing a great school year for two {can't believe I am saying that}.  All Jack wanted to know was, "Am I go to learn new stuff?"  I'm pretty confident that is a yes.  And all I wanted to know for Maggie is, "Will she be loved on?".  And I'm pretty confident that is a yes also.

Cheers to two kids in school and two mornings to myself!  {I love them both dearly, but seriously, we all needed it}




3 comments:

ericafokens said...

Happy school days to you! Precious kiddos!

The Cibulas said...

I really need a picture of them. They are sooooo precious!

The Zimmermans said...

So precious and yay Mags! She did so great with the transition, thanks to her calm and cool mommy. Let the fun school year begin!