Monday, August 4, 2008

Napping News

As I promised, here is the latest with Jack's napping saga. I'll give you the rundown of one full week. PLEASE feel free to chime in with any advice.

Saturday & Sunday...
What Jack Did: He chatted and tossed and turned for an hour during the am nap and snoozed during the pm nap.

What I Was Thinking: Oh, this is easy, he's ready to drop that am nap. I guess we need am plans for Monday morning. We'll go the library for story time tomorrow.

Monday...
What Jack Did: He got very droopy eyed at 9:30 am. I went ahead and put him down warning him he had only 15 minutes to fall asleep or I was getting him up for a library visit. He zonked in 5 minutes. Here is the clincher though...come afternoon nap time, guess who played in their crib for an entire hour and a half and NEVER went to sleep? You guessed it...Mr. I Need a Morning Nap Jack. This was followed by a fussy evening and an early bedtime. Not fun!

What I Was Thinking: No more am naps, no matter how tired he looks and I mean business!

Tuesday:
What Jack Did: Library story time, lunch with Sophia, played hard outside, anything to stay busy in the morning hours. He went down for his afternoon nap at 1:00 and slept two hours.

What Was I Thinking: Problem solved, he IS ready to drop that am nap...I just have to keep him busy in the morning. However, I'm not crazy about going from 4 hours of daytime sleep to only 2 hours. This was a very long day.

Wednesday: (this is Abby's day with J)
What Jack Did: He stayed busy in the am per my instructions to Abby. However, at 11:30 am he fell asleep in the stroller on a neighborhood walk. Keep in mind Jack DOES NOT fall asleep anywhere but his crib. Abby had to wake him and get him going again. And then, right before lunch, he climbed up the steps, only making it to the 3rd one and fell asleep on the stairs.

What Was I Thinking: I am the worst Mommy ever! I'm depriving my poor baby of sleep. He's just not ready!

Thursday:
What Jack Did: Took a one hour and 15 min am nap, because Mommy woke him in fear of messing up the pm nap. And snoozed for 2 hours during the afternoon nap.

What Was I Thinking: Now, I've got this figured out...just shorten his am nap and he will still sleep in the afternoon. Duh?, it's just what my sleeping books said.

Friday:
Ditto to Thursday...Hey, this is going great!

Saturday:
What Jack Did: Played in his crib for an hour during his morning nap and then snoozed for 2 1/2 hours during the afternoon nap.

What I Was Thinking: What is going on???

Sunday:
What Jack Did: He slept in until almost 8:30 am, so we knew there was no chance of a morning nap. we didn't even bother to try. By his afternoon nap, he was ready. He snoozed for about an hour and 45 minutes.


What I Was Thinking: Will we ever figure this out? We no longer have any rhyme or reason to our days. We (Jack and I) use to be such creatures of habit...what has happened to us? Not to mention that pm nap was NOT long enough.

So, here I am soliciting any advice I can get. Writing this all down has given me a better perspective on our napping issues and I 'think' I know what to do. But, I will take any help I can get. I knew this time would come eventually. I've read that most toddlers drop their morning nap between 15-18 months. I have just always thought that we would be on the latter end of that since Jack LOVES to sleep. I hate transitions! I can't even plan our days anymore. What does my little guy need? And what do I need to do? Help!








3 comments:

S, J, B, & S said...

Sounds like our house these days!! Except for the 4 hours of daytime sleep thing ... WOW, I am jealous!!! :) Blake has never been a good napper, but he used to take a short AM nap and a short PM nap. We're in your boat .. some days he does need an AM nap and some days he doesn't. But if he does take and AM nap, he won't sleep in the PM. And if I keep him up in the AM, he falls asleep at lunch! SOOOO, I am so sorry I have no advice, but I will be checking back to see what others say! Surely this is just an adjustment phase and we will get on track soon! :)

Heather Dahlby said...

It's a short period of time . . . the transition from two naps to one is hard for both of you, I know! At our house, it went on for about a month (at least) . . . sometimes napping in the morning, sometimes not.

My best advice: just be flexible. If he's dying to nap early, then let him. If you can stretch him, then do that. Take it day by day. During the transition, I remember Meg went down for her one nap by 12:15 some days . . . and I was happy to see that she'd sleep until at least 3:00ish.

Preschool helped -- you'll see. When he doesn't HAVE the time to nap, he won't. I'm sure that his new schedule with school all morning will help his transition tremendously!

Don't rush it -- two naps a day is NICE. Yes, it's hard to plan to do things right now . . . but before you know it, he'll be sleeping from 1-3 pm. Soon you'll find that you have to rush out early in the morning to get anything done and get back by lunchtime!

The Fokens Family said...

How's it going? Any more progress? Miller's still napping a.m and p.m. I'm just holding out for when he'll resist the morning nap. Until then, I'll enjoy my morning shower!
~E