This is the kind of birthday party you get when your son comes to you and says, "I don't want a theme for my birthday this year, but I want it to be blue and yellow and I want a foam machine". Hmmm...
Where do I start? The "no theme"...dagger to the heart right there. The "blue & yellow"...okay there may actually be a sliver of hope. And the "foam machine"...um? is that possible? and where do I find that?'.
So crisis averted. Jack did his research and actually found a company where you can rent foam machines. I mean, who knew? And I'd like to think this party DID have a theme and it was "Blue & Yellow". All is well.
Jack prefers smaller intimate celebrations, so he narrowed his usual list down to just a few boys. I can't say I didn't appreciate that, as we did take them to the lake and have a sleep over. Mommy's hands were full.
We arrived on Saturday late afternoon with Clay and I caravanning the crew. And wouldn't you know, straight out of the gate the boys ran down to check out the lake.
And a few fools even got in. Freezing!
I served an early dinner before the festivities began. By the table decor, I'd like to think we did have a theme after all. Right?
While the boys goofed around, I set up the foam machine. It was super easy to use. So much so, the boys set it up from here on out. After a wardrobe change, they were in!
And in...
And in some more...
I actually had to pull these boys out admits flying soap suds. It was endless entertainment. But, I wanted to get the Blue & Yellow paint ball game in before dark. Sunday was threatening rain, so it had to be done.
I made each of the boys a tee shirt with their names and filled buckets with throwable paint balls. I got the paintballs at Michaels. They are super soft and don't hurt when thrown. But, be forewarned, they do wash out. Which can be a good and a bad thing.
Let the color war begin...
From there, the boys were on their own for the evening. They played flashlight tag, hide and seek in the woods and roasted s'mores. I would like to assume they slept at some point.
The next morning, I was back on party duty with a Blue & Yellow breakfast to await the sleepy heads. Rise and Shine...the party continues!
Sunday was spent waiting for the rain. We knew it was coming, just not sure when. Luckily, the hour by hour forecast was extremely inaccurate. So those boys found plenty to fill their time before the rain set in.
They were able to get more quality time in the foam machine {imagine that}. This time experimenting with rafts, balls and maneuvering the machine itself to get the best results. They also squeezed in a boat ride. Which lent me a few minutes to get lunch set up. A Blue & Yellow lunch mind you.
I have to admit, it's kind of impressive how many food items are packaged in blue and yellow. Jack just may be on to something with his favorite colors.
After lunch we sang to the Birthday Boy. And celebrated with the dessert of his choice...Bundtinis from Nothing Bundt Cakes.
Yep, that's 11 candles.
And post lunch and cake, guess where we found the boys until the rain came pouring in...
Needless to say, the foam machine was a whopping success. Call me crazy {which you probably already do}, but I put my rental cost toward the purchase. It was a mere difference and I have a feeling we will get plenty of use from this thing. So if you've got any foam parties in your future, guess what?, I have a machine you can borrow.
I'm happy to say this "no theme foam sleep over party at the lake" was a blast of a celebration for my boy!
Ooh and I forgot to mention {and take a picture of}. The boys all went home with fabulous blue sweatshirt blankets that I cricuted their names on in yellow. Hoping I will see a lot of those at camp drop off this summer!
Happy Birthday to my smart, creative, kind, intuitive, healthy, responsible, boy who continues to keep me on my toes! Love you! xoxo



































No comments:
Post a Comment