We are making our final check off of our Summer List. I have been dying to shoot the hooch for years now. It just seems like a right of passage living around here.
The kids were completely on board, so we loaded up with the Carper family and headed a good hour north. After a bit of research, we realized hopping on the river from Helen was the way to go. A much cleaner part of the river, completely cost effective, and even a quaint little town to roam around in after our adventure.
I can't remember exactly, but I'm thinking it was about $7 a person. This included the tube {which had a bottom in it}, life jackets, and a wristband to ride the slide mid way through our float. Such a deal!
Once we all had our tubes and were life jacketed up, we boarded the bus for a short 15 minute ride. I highly recommend paying the extra $1 or so for the sticks. They saved us on several shipwrecked occasions.
Jack and his bestie tied up together and were pretty much on their own. The water was very shallow and it was a straight shot, so we felt comfortable letting them take the lead.
Maggie tied up with me. As much as she wanted to be side by side with her bestie, her cautiousness got the best of her so she played it safe. I can't deny, I had a pretty cute view. Love that Magpie 💕
Lucy, who hardly has a dash of caution in her body, tied up with Maggie's BFF instead and off they went. I wish I could say the two little girls floated down the river without a problem. However, they had a few S.O.S moments with the rocks and what not.
Luckily, Mrs. Carper was riding solo and was there to save them. To the point she had to ditch her cozy raft and drag it up river to get the girls. Meanwhile, Maggie and I floated on down the river without a care in the world. I did have a tinge of guilt, but what was I to do?!?
About half way down the river, we made a stop at the slides. These things must have been some ancient years old, but the kids loved them. They each {minus careful Maggie} went down about 10 times. Us mommies even gave it a whirl. Total flashbacks from being a kiddo on the beach...way fun!
We got back on our tubes and finished our shoot down the hooch.
We arrived back about an hour and a half later. The river brought us direclty to where we had checked in. We utilized the locker rooms and change into dry clothes before checking out the town of Helen. They were super clean and beyond convenient.
Starving could not even begin describe how hungry we were. The German Bakery was calling our names. The cafe had us completely immersed in the German culture with appropriately dressed wait staff and authentic German food. We dined on giant German sandwiches with meat fresh from their deli. It was so delish!
By the meals end, I'm pretty sure the kids were tired of being reminded of their German heritage.
Finally with full tummies, we were ready to explore the town. The village is a replicate of a German town with a few cute shops, lots of good treats, and several touristy gift shops. As you can imagine, we got sucked into it all.
I bought a traditional German Pickle Ornament at the Christmas Shoppe. My fellow German, filled me in on the whole tradition. How could I have not know all these years? Christmas should be fun this go around. Thanks G {Mrs. Carper}!
We filled up on sweets at the Gingerbread House Candy Shop and brought a variety of beef jerky home. Who knew there could be so many jerky shops in one town?
After a full day of floating, roaming, and shopping we headed back home. We made it back just in time for bed.
Such a fun filled day and a bittersweet goodbye to summer vacation. So thrilled to add this to the list next summer!

















No comments:
Post a Comment