Sunday, November 27, 2016

Thanksgiving In Paradise

We just literally spent Thanksgiving in paradise.  You would have never heard me say that about 20 years ago.  It seems over time I began to take for granted the gorgeous coast of Florida where I grew up.  So much so, that I left for college and never went back.

It's hard to believe that such beautiful surroundings and an easy way of life could have seemed so mundane to me at the time.  Now when I visit, I'm nearly in awe of the weather, the sounds of the ocean, and the smell of the salt water.  

Being that is was our Thanksgiving holiday, I was extra consciences of being thankful.  Of course my family is always at the top of that list, but I quickly added the stunning scenery that I was so blessed to grow up in.

And to make matters even more exhilarating, I got to share it with my three kiddos.  They actually think it's pretty cool that their mama grew up on an island.

Clay and I opted to rent a condo on the beach.  It was a great decision in the long run, the kids had so much to do and I developed a new appreciation for that little old place I call "home".  Most of our family were in other parts of the country {on both sides}, but that didn't stop us from enjoying Thanksgiving.

Just to give you an idea of what we woke up to everyday...these pictures of the girls are from our condo balcony.



The weather was beyond amazing.  So much so, that I was not packed appropriately at all.  I had to make a quick run to the tourist shop to buy a moo moo {literally} on clearance.  I would have been mortified had I seen anyone I knew.  But, I just couldn't stand to sit by the pool sweating any longer.  And I was not about to miss all this...




The kids spent the majority of their Thanksgiving morning and early afternoon in the water.  Daddy and Grammy enjoyed their company while I hopped back and forth between the kitchen and the outdoors to prepare an already "pre-pared" Thanksgiving dinner.  Even heating up in a condo kitchen can be a chore.





But, it all worked out {and thankfully no one was picky}.  Maggie made place cards for everyone {it was her sweet way of being bossy} and the kids' devoured the turkey.







We were so full after our meal that we couldn't imagine doing anything other than going to a movie.  One of my favorite Thanksgiving traditions.  We opted to see the new Disney Moana { I was shocked when Jack was onboard and with a smile}.

I have to admit, I thought the beginning was a bit slow {is that possible for a cartoon?}, but soon grew to love it.  It was a sweet movie with lots of adventure and a dash of humor.

We spent the following days doing a lot more of the same {minus the huge meal and movie}.  The girls really got into Boogie Boarding this trip.  There is no way I would have stepped a toe in that water...despite the warm temperatures, it was freezing cold.  Hence, Lucy's purple lips.





One afternoon, I bet Jack a $1 he couldn't climb a Palm Tree {I mean seriously, it is near impossible}.  And wouldn't you know, that kid pulled it off and wouldn't stop until he was perched in the palms.  He's not nicknamed Monkey J for nothing.




Jack and I also took a stroll around the island and I showed him all of my old stomping grounds.  He saw nearly everywhere my little pink beach cruiser could take me back in the day.

He was such a trooper as I reminisced.





Our last evening was spent having a beach side dinner with the best Grammy in the whole world.  We honestly all adore her and she made Thanksgiving so special.



So thankful for....our family, the beach, sunshine, no alarm clocks, turkey, movies, boogie boards, and most importantly, Grammy.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!  Now it's time to gear up for "The Most Wonderful Time of The Year"!


No comments: