We spent our weekend up in the mountains. Originally it was for no other reason than to drop Jack off at SLEEP AWAY camp! What?!?! I actually have a kid old enough and who actually wants to be dropped off at camp...and sleep there?
The answer is yes, it seems I do.
This decision was not made without a fight from this Mama Bear. In the end the boys won out and I can say I am happy they did. I can only imagine the amazing experience we are offering up to this growing boy of ours. Sometimes it's just a wee bit hard to let go {apparently only on my end as we would soon find out}.
Okay, so I did get a little say in the dropping off process. I wanted to make a weekend of it...with the entire family. I was going to give Jack about all the family love he could stand before he traipsed off into the independent world of sleep away camp.
We did our best to find family friendly activities up in woods and still be a doable drive from camp. Our first stop was a local Nature Center. And although we have one of these back home, the animals were a whole other crew.
We are talking cougars, bobcats, coyotes, black bears, deer, and wolves. Which, might I note, Lucy has a new sudden fear of wolves. I'm still trying to get to the source of this one, but about a week before our trip Lu started in on concerns of wolves being in her bedroom. Totally bizarre.
I assured her there was no such possibility, Jack assured her "wolves were nice" and then winked at me, and Maggie assured her "Mommy wolves wouldn't let their babies come to our house". In the end she was calmed when I confirmed, "yes Lucy I will chase them away with a stick" and "yes, Lucy they will listen to me because I'm a Mommy and everyone listens to mommies".
When I saw wolves on our nature center map, I held my breath. Happily, I believe Lucy has conquered her fear and I have the proof...
Luckily there were no other fears to contend with along our visit. I was personally most fascinated with the bears. This is Jack and I trying our best to get a picture with one of them.
And although the nature center had its excitement nothing made my kid's days more than swimming at the pool mountain side. Is this gorgeous or what?
Give this crew a pool and they are happy campers. Should have known all along that we didn't even need to leave the hotel.
We topped our drop off weekend with a visit to town. And while my girls were fascinated with "The Pink Store", the boys were hardly interested a bit. In fact they sat outside and moaned about "girls and shopping".
The one thing we all could find interest in were the plethora of street musicians. Lucy being in the most awe. I could hardly get her away. She was a tipping fool and just about ready to get foot loose.
The next morning we rose bright and early and headed off to camp. It was time to drop Jack off. I'll bet you'll never guess which one of us had the hardest time. Stay tuned...










No comments:
Post a Comment