And so we set out to the front lawn this afternoon with all of our carving tools, designs swimming around in our heads and three pumpkins. I guess I knew the big 3 was coming, but I wasn't expecting it quite so soon.
Jack wanted something spooky. I could have predicted that one. Maggie wanted a cat. That was certainly a tall order. I let out a sigh of relief when she changed her mind and requested "a real jack-o-lantern face". Totally do able.
And Lucy didn't have a clue. She only knew that if the bigs were doing one she better be too. I found out sooner than later that the stickers I brought out for her to decorate with were not going to cut it {no pun intended}.
I was prepared for the daunting task of hollowing out the pulp and seeds of all the pumpkins while the kids "ooohed" and "yucked" {as they have in the past}. To my pleasant surprise they all dug right in and scooped away. However, don't even think for a second they didn't continue their tradition of "ooooh"ing and "yuck"ing right along with it.
Once that slimy task was complete, we went straight to the drawing board. Jack knew exactly what he wanted. He had found a picture in one of his National Geographic For Kids magazines and got busy right away transferring the design. And he even added a couple of ears. I so adore his creativity.
I put a few dots on Maggie's pumpkin and had her connect them. She thought she was a regular Picasso {as she should}. And can I just tell you how wonderful it was to cut out triangles as opposed to a cat's face?
And Lucy basically scribbled all over hers. Because anytime we offered help it was met with a resounding "Me Do It!".
Somehow I managed to talk her into letting me do the cutting. She ended up with a star. And only because she made it very clear that that is what she had drawn. Uh...obviously.
Jack and Maggie were both thrilled with their final products. I had to do a little damage control on Jack's. One of the neighborhood big boys came over and "helped" Jack. Trust me it looks much better lit up in the dark {and with the black Sharpie lines removed}.
And as for Lucy's final product...well, have I mentioned she's two years old? She can cooperate for only so long. Who know's where she and her star pumpkin had scooted off to at this point.
I'll aim to grab that picture in three nights.
Until then...our front porch is ready. Looking forward to lots of trick or treaters.








No comments:
Post a Comment