Sunday, October 26, 2014

Harvest Festival & Other "Fall"icious News

Jack's school hosted their first annual Harvest Festival this Saturday.  Another event.  Another weekend.  It's been a busy month.

We arrived bundled up only to shed layers as the event wore on.  The sun was absolutely glorious.  I soaked it in knowing all too well that it won't last.

The girls stayed very busy.  I'm assuming Jack did as well.  For as soon as we arrived he was off with his buddies and only graced us with a check in on occasion.

So as you can imagine I was hardly given the opportunity to snag a picture of him, but when I did I took advantage of it.

Like when we checked out the class scarecrow contest.  Jack's class did Emett and Wildstyle from The Lego Movie.  It couldn't have been a better fit for my Lego loving dude.



Maggie immediately spotted the Olaf Scarecrow {although he doesn't look much like a scarecrow}, but she was absolutely smitten.



From Olaf to sand art, her day couldn't have gotten much better.




The manicure station didn't hurt either.  Wait...was this festival for Jack?!?!



Speaking of, here he is...another short check in and a little pumpkin decorating with his littles.  We added these to the other thousand we have adorning our front porch right now.  Pumpkins For Sale!



We topped off our day with face painting.  I never knew how long these lines could get until I had a girl.  Geez!  Maggie asked for a bunny and this was the final product.  I can't lie, I was a little stunned {and confused}.  But, we all smiled and told her how beautiful she looked.



I'm pretty sure when she asked for the "bunny" she was thinking something a little more along these lines.  {Or at least I was}.  I had to mask the shock on my face with an over dose of compliments.  Lucy, meanwhile, came out looking like what I would expect from a face painting booth at a festival.  Look at that adorable mermaid loving toddler.



And in other "Fall"icious news, we've had more than festivals going on around here.  90% of which pertains to Jack.

Last weekend Jack earned his Bobcat Badge in Cub Scouts.  They gave the awards away at the Spooky Camp Out.  I was sorely disappointed that I didn't get to see the ceremony-it was just the boys on the trip.  But I did get this sweet little image sent to my inbox.



And as if that weren't enough, Jack received the Breakfast of Champions Award at school.  I mean this kid was literally beaming when he got off the bus last week.  He couldn't wait to tell me.  I couldn't be more proud of him if I tried.  This kid just keeps exceeding my all expectations.



And last but not least, we baked our spooky Ghost Pizza to welcome the upcoming holiday.  I thought I'd get CrAzY and have the kids roll out and shape real dough this year.



Okay...not so sure I'll do that again.  It was tough for those little hands.  Who am I kidding,  it was tough for mine.  We tried everything from a rolling pin, tossing it in the air, and practically beating it.  Needless to say you could most definitely call our final product "pan pizza".  No thin and crispy here.

Regardless the kids had fun.  Jack and Lucy even ventured to use black olives for the eyes.  Only to pull them off as soon as they were ready to eat it.




We used ghost cookie cutters and sliced mozzarella cheese for the ghost.  When they melt on the pizza they look even spookier.

Here's a before shot.  I dare not show an "after the oven" image.  The crust had risen nearly 5 inches high...I do not lie.  We all got a big kick out of it.  Lesson learned.


And for those who don't know my middle child's eating habits...that's Maggie's in the middle.  There was no way I was talking her in to letting a black olive touch her meal.

So...that's whats been happening around here.  It's hard to believe only 5 more days until Halloween.  We've still got pumpkins to carve and my littles have candy up and down the lane calling their name.

We are looking forward to the culminating October event.  HALLOWEEN!




No comments: