Thursday, March 27, 2014

School Days

I've had the pleasure of spending my week gallivanting between schools enjoying various activities that each entailed.  It's nearly impossible for me to believe that we are closing in on school years.  Time does fly by.  So every opportunity I get, I'm there.  

I started off as a chaperone for Jack's Kindergarten Field Trip to the Children's Museum.  Nothing like getting the opportunity to ride a school bus with my favorite first born and seeing him in his element.  

What once was a monthly adventure to the museum has now become very few and far between with this guy.  Elementary school does not leave much wiggle room for our fun day trips around town.   So he and I were very ecstatic to revisit our old stomping grounds.   






The exhibit was Sonic Sounds.  So I took my little group of five around to each station and tried my hardest to keep up with them.  I must of done a role call check every 10 minutes.  I have three children of my own and I was a former K teacher, you would think keeping track of five kiddos would have been a piece of cake.  Hardly so.





If you ask Jack what the best part of the day was, he would surely say the walk to the park for lunch  and the playground.  He's already verbally added it to his summer list.

Though it was bit windy, the sun was shining and it was an absolutely fabulous day to be outdoors.



I closed up my week with Maggie's Spring Sing.  Now get ready for this one.  Before the day even arrived, Maggie declared "I'm not going to sing".  Fair enough.  I expected as much.  Although, she is Maggie the Pop Star around the house.  I can hardly get the girl to stop belting out tunes {not that I would ever want to}.

So when Daddy told Maggie he had a meeting during her Spring Sing, but would be happy to reschedule, Maggie responded with, "Don't come Daddy, I'm not going to sing, just go to your meeting".   Dear Grandma got the same response.  I assured the family they were better off not rearranging their day for the performance.  Maggie is a strong willed little thing, sweet as sugar, but strong willed, and what she says she means.

Lucy and I hardly fought for a front row seat, but we did want Maggie to know we were there.  So we sat close enough for her to see us, but I couldn't have lived with myself if I had taken the best photo op position for a child who had already stated that she wasn't participating.

I knew what was I was in for, but I must admit, I was not prepared for this....


Yes, every child faced forward, singing or not, and my darling Mags had her back turned to the audience nearly the entire time.

I must give her a little credit though, she did make one sideways glance through her hair to peak out into the crowd and then quickly turned her back again.



Meanwhile Lucy stood in the chair next to me, mimicking all the children's dance moves and singing right along.  Maybe she's our performer.

When it was over, Maggie melted into my arms with a flood of tears.  I commented on a "nice show and how hard the children must have worked" and dropped the subject.  After a warm hug and dried tears, Maggie very matter of factly said, "everyone can come to my ballet recital because I'm going to dance at that".

And so we will leave it at that.  Sweet Mags....my sugar and spice.




No comments: