His original choice was Lucy. Which I find just as touching. However, the logistics were challenging. VIP Day started at 7:45 am. Lucy isn't even awake then, much less dressed and fed. I explained this quandary to Jack and in his sweet big brother heart that excuse just wasn't jiving with him. In his own words he explained he had chosen Maggie last year and this year he wanted Lucy. No way around it.
I started to cave {but not out loud}. I imagined Lucy rummaging through the room, causing a stir, being totally exhausted by noon and then...I imagined Jack's joy. Okay, just maybe we can make this work.
But before I could mutter the words out loud I got the saving email. The VIP committee requested that siblings not be chosen due to crowd control. I read the email to Jack, his face fell, and by default I became his new VIP.
I suggested we give someone else a chance to visit his room, since I am always in there. I suggested Daddy, grandparents, neighbors, friends, but it was me that he wanted. I can't say that I wasn't flattered. My heart smiled a mile wide. It feels good to be so loved.
So this morning I made an amazing accomplishment in that I got Jack ready and off to school and I followed close behind him dressed, with make up on, and arrived on time ready to be a Very Important Person in Jack's life.
We started the event with a delish breakfast of doughnuts, bagels and juice. We sat at his table, talked, read his journal, and enjoyed each others company. I could see through his smile how happy he was that I was there by his side {sigh}.
Then each child introduced their VIP. I know I'm his mommy, but can I just brag on this boy for a moment? He did an awesome introduction, remembered everything he was supposed to say, and was very fluid in doing so. I was mighty impressed with his public speaking skills and confidence. Kudos to my boy!
His introduction included my name, my age, which he stated as 34 {I'll take it}, and my job. I think he nailed my job right on the head..."my mommy's job is to cook dinner, play with me, and drive". And then he followed it up with his favorite memory of me..."when we hug". I almost had to pick my melting heart up off the floor.
Hugs are Jack and my go to when either one of us is having a tough time. They work magically.
Being the default VIP certainly had it's perks. I can't imagine any better way to start my day than with my very own VIP.
I love you monkey! Thank you for loving me back with every ounce of your being {it shows}!
And please check out Jack's precious tee. He had to dress up as his favorite Dr Seuss character {with all of our snow days events have started overlapping}. Anyway we made this shirt with four pockets and put Wockets in them....There's a Wocket In My Pocket...so fun!


No comments:
Post a Comment