Monday, March 4, 2013

A Weekend In The Woods



We spent a weekend in the woods....literally.  There was nothing within a 20 mile radius of us.  Okay there was a deli about 8 miles up the street, but that is it.  Seriously.

In truth, it didn't matter, we weren't there to go places.  We were there to spend time with the Cibula family.  Mainly Clay's Dad. 

It was actually a wonderful weekend minus the rocky start Lucy gave us.

The rocky start was a scorching baby when we arrived on Thursday.  Lucy spent the first 24 hours either crying or sleeping.  She was a hot mess {literally...again}.  I, of course, forgot the Motrin that I always pack 'just in case' {go figure}.  I had to make a trek into town {that's what they called it anyway} that first evening to visit the local Rite Aid {I didn't even think those things still existed}.  Even with that, we fought the fever all night and into the next day.

Worry finally got the best of me {Lucy had just gotten her 6 month vaccinations on Thursday morning}. So on Friday Lucy and I made another trek to the nearest Pediatrician, which was a generous 45 minutes away {minus the 15 minutes that my GPS got me lost in...you guessed it, the woods}.  We arrived only to find out I was at the wrong location {insert some very obscene frustrating words here}.  

However, those nice country folks squeezed little Lu in and we saw the Doc rather quickly.  The prognosis?...a cold and a big fat coincidence with the vaccinations.  Shew.  Add my exhaustion to the equation and Lucy and I were much pretty much done in that first day.  

From then on our weekend in the woods went much smoother.  No more rocks {except for the ones thrown in the lake}.

Jack and Maggie had a blast.  Lock them in a house with their family {particularly their older cousins}, in the middle of no where, in ice cold temperatures and they are an extremely happy pair.  

Intervals were spent inside and outside.  Skipping rocks on the lake proved to be glorious entertainment.  Don't let cousin Whit's attire fool you...it was freeeezing!  I took these pictures from the deck of the house with my new zoom lens.  I knew that thing would come in handy.



The crazies family played several games of football in the backyard among snow flurries.



It's fair to say that Jack and Maggie enjoyed the tackling part of the "game" the best.



When it got too cold outside {which was often} the kids came inside to hang out.  I was able to peel their eyes off of the various available screens in the house {i.e. ipad, iphones, DVDs} to do art with me for a bit.  Larkin definitely enjoyed it the most.  I adore that budding artist.



And when I wasn't caring for Lucy letting Lucy sleep on me {which I admittedly loved} I was taking pictures of the Cibula clan.  Aunt Catlin was not up to the photo op, but...



...I got her later with Little Lu.  Even better.



This photo was worth the 42 out takes it took to get it.  Grampa and the Grandkids. It was a miracle that Lucy wasn't crying and Maggie didn't have Boo draped across her face.  As for Jack's eyes, I had to take what I could get.  He was battling a serious case of the sillies....cousins can do that to you.



But, this happens to be one of my favorite.  Faye and Jim with their grown children.  Three kids...all boys...only months apart from one another.  Amazing parents, don't you agree?  And I think my crew is hard work sometimes.



And because she slowly began to return to her lovely self...Lucy and Grammy...



...and Lucy again with cousin Larkin.


Okay, for my next weekend in the woods I am bringing a well baby and a pair of gloves.  I would add the Motrin, but that defeats the purpose of my 'well baby'.

Thank you Cibula family for a wonderful weekend!


3 comments:

ericafokens said...

Poor Lucy! You made the best of it! A memorable trip building great memories.

Grammy said...

What a handsome bunch! It was so much fun even with Lucy under the weather.

Tanya said...

Poor little Lucy! It's great that you found a dr in town and got her feeling better.