Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The Purple Hippo


Jack spent, yet, another week in camp. Not by my choice, solely by his.  I'll tell you all about it soon.  

That being said,  Maggie and I have acquired us some lovely girl time here lately.  We've had a few free days to just be girls and most importantly allow Maggie to make all of the decisions.

She's picked the zoo, which was fabulous.  All of the animals were in full cooperation like I've never seen them before and it was overcast.  Total win-win.  Except...I forgot my camera. 

We went to see the Mermaid Pirate puppet show at The Puppetry Arts.  Again, a total hit.  She enjoyed the show and loved the puppet making session afterwards even more.  Again, no camera. And only because I thought, 'you can't really take pictures at a puppet show'.  But then I found myself totally regretting it when Maggie was so adorably engrossed in the puppet craft.

And we did our girly mani/pedi trip, which, again, did not disappoint.  Sweetest thing looking over and seeing Maggie wafting her pink nails in that big ol' chair...love it!  But again, no camera.

So, after those  missed opportunities, I vowed not to do it again.  When Maggie and I decided to spend a morning at The Purple Hippo Art Studio, I made certain I had a camera this time.  {and for many events following as you will see in future posts}.  I'm making up for a lost month.



Someone please tell me how I have lived so close to The Purple Hippo and it took me nearly 4 years to finally go there?  Yes, it's always looked cute from the outside {and obviously even cuter with that precious sack of sugar standing by the door}, but little did I know the fun that awaited inside.  We soon found out...



It basically was a free for all art studio for kids.  There were baskets of art materials, easels, supplies, and all this for a flat fee and 2 hours.  We will be back.



Maggie's first activity of choice was easel painting.  And her first two color choices...purple and pink.  Oh, and she insisted on that specific smock because it was "rainbow" {hmmm...as if all of the others weren't?} 



After painting Maggie ventured over to the art materials.  Each kid got a bucket to fill with art medium to make a creation with.  Everything from glitter to pom poms to sea shells and rocks.  And you can fill it up as many times as you want to.  So awesome.



This was one of the three creations Maggie made.  All of which are 3D.  And...she really enjoyed the glue.  But what two year old wouldn't?



We even had friends there.  Ansley and Landon {whom very reluctantly sat for a picture with Maggie} and Patterson and Jessie {whom wanted nothing to do with my camera if it didn't come with glue and paint} joined us.  Who could blame them?  Camera vs an artsy mess?   But, I'm pretty sure I got a shot of Donna's foot back there.  So proof they were there too.

At the completion of our visit, Maggie and I decided without a doubt that we will be back.  And that was confirmed when Maggie showed Jack her creations after his day at camp.  He pleaded to go with us next time.  Three weeks before school starts...I think we can definitely squeeze in another visit.





No comments: