Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Questions



Three and a half has proven to be the year of questions around here. Jack is full of them from the minute he wakes up to the last minute when he is tucked in at night.

I have learned to cherish his inquisitive little mind although, it can be painstakingly tough to answer everything he questions. Some of his inquiries are so deep that I have to stop and think, "okay, how do I put this in 3 year old terminology?". Other times I get the age old "because, why Mommy?" one hundred billion times in a row, until I finally realize, I don't have to play this game, and I turn it around on him..."why do you think, Jack?". Unfortunately this usually leads to a whole new discussion with a lot more, you guessed it...questions.

Regardless of the monotony of these conversations, I've come to realize Jack really is listening (so I better get this right), he really is learning (if I did get it right), and he really is eager for knowledge--he's an ever absorbing sponge right now.

I refuse to take this time for granted. I am not naive enough to believe that he will always be warranting my answers. Yes, there will come a day when 'Mommy does not know everything'. So for now, I'm taking it in and enjoying every minute of his 3 year old little brain. It is truly fascinating and honestly, a lot of fun.

I couldn't let this stage pass without noting a few of his "questions". This is just a snip it of what I am going through on a daily basis...

*Where does the sun go at night? (I got this while driving the car. Try using your fist as Earth and your other hand as the sun when they are suppose to be on the wheel.)

*Will Jesus be at church on Christmas since it is his Birthday? (this answer was followed by a very disappointed 3 year old frown)

*What is after space? (hmm....more space?)

*Is mice another name for mouse? (insert smile here)

*How does God make rain? (I was good at this one. I use to teach the water cycle in 1st grade.)

*Why are all those stones in that field? (asked while pointing to a cemetery--I got myself in deep with this one--no pun intended)

*Why are all of the dinosaurs gone? (because they are extinct) Why are they extinct? (and so on and so on...)

*How did the doctor get me out of your belly when I was a baby if your belly is closed? (thank goodness I had a C-section--it sure made explaining this one easier)

*When Maggie gets big, can we get another baby? (we'll see Jack)

And the list goes on...





2 comments:

Erin said...

Agree...3 1/2 must make them question EVERYTHING! I love it too but I find myself struggling to answer most of his questions! It's tough! At least you have some teacher experience...and the Csection response! :)

The Harris Family said...

I am right there with you- though luckily havent gotten the cemetery or where babies come from questions yet! but the why's are exhausting!!!