Let me just say, I love, love, loved this book. I actually started slowing down my reading when I felt the pages on the back end getting thin. I did not want it to be over! Not to mention the new season of the Bachelor started--one night of reading overridden. Which, might I add, I was starting to think I was getting too old for until I found out the Bachelor is 38. Yahoo!
Okay, but back to the novel. It was exactly my kind of read. I often find myself enjoying historical novels. Whether, they be emotional, light hearted, based on true events, basically anything. Some of my favorite novels were set way back...Sarah's Key, the classic Grapes of Wrath, and even an Amish series I adored.
This particular novel took place in the early 1900's and fits into the witty and interesting category. It is based on a real character with real events. The cover cleverly, says "a true life novel". I love that! It was a Laura Ingalls Wilder for adults of sorts, whom I devoured as a young child. Basically the novel was based on the author's maternal Grandmother, Lily Casey. Lily led an amazing life and her wit throughout the novel makes it even more fascinating to read.
I know I'm giving this novel little justice with my synopsis, but it was really a great read. Not to mention the author also wrote another of my other favorites, The Glass Castle, which too was a true story based on her insanely interesting family. If I could do it again, I would have read Half Broke Horses first and then followed up with The Glass Castle--more for chronological sake than anything.
Regardless of if historical novels are your thing, I truly believe this story could be enjoyed by anyone. And if you're not sure, do read The Glass Castle, which is a little more present day, and I guarantee you will be running to the book store for Half Broke Horses.
Happy Reading!

1 comment:
I got Half Broke Horses on Wed and just finished it, It was amazing. Thanks for the tip.
Post a Comment