Sunday, September 19, 2010

Little Kicker

Jack's first "game" of the Fall soccer season was on Sunday. He is a Little Kicker...how great is that title?

The count down has been on around here. Between searching and buying gear to the full out "show the whole neighborhood" your new cleats episode...we were ready. Game time is 3:30 on Sundays. It does not fair well with either of my kids naps, so needless to say, I was concerned. I am happy to report-- it went off without a hitch.

Maggie went down a little early and unfortunately was awaken early too. But, our little trooper baby was just that...a trooper. And with the anticipation of the game, Jack spent his nap time wiggling in his bed. Should I have expected any differently?

We arrived at the field right on time, Jack's cleats click clacking the whole way down the sidewalk to field #6. He was very enthralled with that. We were all happy to see familiar faces for teammates...Carson, Reeves from school, and Sophia, of course. The coach passed out individual soccer balls for all of the players (brilliant!) and told them to name their new "best friends". Jack chose to name his Cosby (very original) and Sophia, taking the best friend thing literally, named hers Jack. That shouldn't be too confusing, huh? Very sweet though.

And then the game began. I would be lying if I said it was a real game. More like a bazillion 3 year olds running around kicking their named balls, shooting goals, following through the drills, and having a blast. It was the best version of organized chaos I have ever seen.

Both Clay and I were very pleasantly surprised at Jack's enthusiasm. He actually loved it! Which, of course, I was hoping for, but you never know with a 3 year old. On the way home, he chanted "I won!", and declared "I want to play ALLLLL the sports". This followed with, "then I will have a trophy collection". He has already inquired about his next soccer "game". Looks like we found Jack's first niche.


Let the games begin! Can you tell how excited Jack was?



Jack and "Cosby"--the soccer ball version.



Go Little Kicker! (I love what hair that wasn't glued to his head with sweat is bouncing in the air)



Even the Daddies got to join in on the drills.



Look at that face of determination...poor "Cosby".


A little dribbling--using no hands is a work in progress.



Jack, Cosby, Sophia, and the other Jack were worn out after the game. Then it was time for Popsicles!



Jack let sweet Mags hold his soccer ball after the game. What an awesome Big Bro! This girl was in heaven. She is a ball freak.



Maggie was Jack's biggest fan. And besides being a loyal fan, she was an angel. Sometimes I have to pinch myself, can a baby really be this sweet? And if so, what did we do to deserve her?





No comments: