You see, my sleepy Maggie, who hasn't woken in the middle of the night since she was 10 1/2 weeks old, decided to request a 4:00 a.m. visit here recently. I didn't get it. 'What? Surely she's not hungry!' I held her, rocked her, checked for teeth, and tried to soothe her back to sleep. I got her back down around 6:00 am only to hear her belting out for me again at 6:45. 'Okay, she must be hungry'. I reluctantly fed her much earlier than her scheduled time.
Throughout the day I upped her ounces, which isn't easy to do when you are nursing. So I decided to follow up each feeding session with a supplemental 4 oz bottle of formula...and every time she guzzled it down.
I held my breath that night when I put her down for bed. That second night she graced me with a 6:00 am wake up. A whole hour and a half earlier than usual. No doubt it was definitely hunger. That's when I made the decision to add rice cereal to her diet.
And let me tell you, it was a decision. I was really hoping to wait until 6 months. I did start Jack at 5 1/2 months, but let's face it, they are two totally different babies. I just didn't think she was ready, mostly physically. But, she apparently had another plan.
After one feeding of rice cereal a day since then, I haven't heard another peep from her until 7:30-8:00 am. I admit it...I was wrong...she was ready.
Her first feeding was challenging to say the least. I forgot how messy babies get. I was constantly removing her fingers from her mouth, prying the spoon out of her grubby little fingers, and repeatedly assisting her back into a sitting position. All in all she was happy though--loving every bite and waiting for more.
Her first feeding was challenging to say the least. I forgot how messy babies get. I was constantly removing her fingers from her mouth, prying the spoon out of her grubby little fingers, and repeatedly assisting her back into a sitting position. All in all she was happy though--loving every bite and waiting for more.
Since then, we have made a lot of progress. She now keeps her chubby little fingers out of the way and let's me do the feeding. I could easily say this feeding is Maggie's most vocal time of the day. I think if she could talk she would be saying, "more", "mmmm", "yummy", and "hurry up Mommy".
Next on the agenda...add some pears. She's really going to go nuts over that!

4 comments:
Love it! She's growing up so fast!
~Erica
Wow her eyes really are going to be blue, aren't they?!? I skipped the plain cereals with Jessie and went straight to the yummy tasty stuff. Who has time the second time around to feed tasteless paste!
I love her little sausage fingers, yummy rice cereal an all!
How cute is she? I'm happy to hear that she is back to sleeping.
Post a Comment