Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Party Planning


I've been a little slow on the blogging lately. Not too mention returning phone calls & emails, seeing friends, getting out of the house, etc,etc. You would think it would be due to the fact that we have a new baby around here. And...that is partly it. But the majority of my "free time" (I use that term loosely) has been consumed with party planning. I am up to my eyeballs in parties right now.

For starters we've got Maggie's Baptism and after party. No big deal really. I just had to schedule the date and time, make a few phone calls to order food, and get some paper products. Pretty much done with that one.

The big ones are Jack's 3rd birthday and Clay's 40th. And for those of you who remember, yes, they aren't until April. But bear in mind, April is only 2 short months away. Clay's is obviously a huge one and Jack's always turns into a huge one, no matter what I say I'm "not going to do". And with two birthday parties on my plate I've got to get started early. And early for me was a month ago.

In an effort not to consume every one's April, Cristina (Sophia's mommy) and I decided to do Jack and Sophia's party together. Seeing as how the two are attached at the hip and only 6 days apart...it just made sense. We mainly did this for all of you expecting April babies out there--so we better see all of you 9+ months prego mommies. Mark your calendars it's April 3rd. We're both aware that it's Easter weekend, but we had to get it in early before everyone was at the hospital in labor and delivery. Consider it a weekend for the kids...aren't they all though?

Party planning for the J & S party has really "taken flight" (you'll see what I mean later:). We've had invites custom made to suit a boy and a girl--that took a while--actually 4 proofs later, but, I can happily say, their in printing as we speak! And between Cristina and I, I think we've come up with some super cute ideas for the goodies, food, etc. Two heads are always better than one.

As for Clay's party, it's a one woman show. Clay does know we are celebrating, but he doesn't know how--that's the surprise! It's been hard not to ask his advice on certain things, especially when it directly affects him. I'm use to getting his opinion...do I always listen?...no, but I like to hear what he has to say.

So with no input from Clay, I've made about 3 zillion decisions in the past month. And I'm not even finished. I really hope he has fun. The party is a pretty simple idea, it's just entails A LOT of phone calls and planning. Things are coming together, but that's about all I can tell you. Oh, except for the date...April 10th...the weekend following Jack and Sophia's party. I originally didn't want them back to back for obvious reasons, but again I had to consider all of the April babies due and my Mom can come for 2 weeks straight. Huge help!

So come April I think I'll finally be able to exhale and focus on just loving all over my baby. It'll be really nice to "just be a Mommy" again. After all, that is my favorite job. I'm pretty much feeling about ready to hang up my party planner hat...until next year.





5 comments:

The Fokens Family said...

Sounds like FUN...No Spring Break traveling with this bump of mine so we'll be able to make it.
Is Clay's a monumental year...hmm?

Miller's will be the weekend b/f on March 27th.

Don't you love all our save the dates??

Karen said...

Yeah- I was hoping you would plan them before mid-April so we could come! Sounds like fun!

Andrea said...

I hear you, my poor baby isn't even here and I booked his baptism this week for July. I figured while my mind is still clear better set a plan NOW.

Nancy said...

Good luck with the party planning!

Heather Dahlby said...

I hear you! I can get consumed in stuff like that, too. With the girls and their birthdays only 3 days apart, it was a doozy planning for birthdays last summer! Your parties are always the BEST -- so I'm sure you are doing a great job.