Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Snowy Day


Just when I thought Spring was right around the corner we have...The Snowy Day. When we went into church this morning it was cold and rainy and when we came out-- well, it is was still cold, but snowy. March is so unpredictable. Last year at this time, I think we were outside playing in shorts. As a matter of fact, I know we were, I have the pictures to prove it. Regardless, I do think we deserved this snow considering how terribly cold it has been this winter--there has got to be some joy in these temperatures, right?.

Anyway, it was absolutely beautiful with huge white flakes falling all around us. Jack was in awe and chanted "sno, sno, sno". And then he proceeded to narrate to us everywhere it landed, "sno cah" (car), "sno tee (tree)", "sno umbella". I was tempted to take Jack home right then and there, bypass lunch, and let him play in the white flakes. But after thinking it through, I reminded myself my boy does not play well on an empty stomach. So Clay and I went ahead and took him to get a quick bite to eat as we always do after Mass on Sundays . Our quick bite turned into an hour lunch. For some reason everyone was out in the snow getting lunch. Ugh...lunch time was slowly turning into nap time. I must have checked my watch every 2 minutes.

We arrived home 20 minutes after the usual start of nap and from there decided not to look at the clock anymore. These snowy days don't come around too often in these parts--might as well enjoy it while we can! Jacket on, mittens on, hat on, and we were off. We played for a fabulous hour and a half in the snow and even managed to build a good sized snowman too. After some frigid fun, I felt like it really was time for J to get some rest. I was finally able to coax him away from his snowman after offering him some snowman books to take to bed with him. Three books and one tired snow bunny later, Jack was snoozing away almost 2 whole hours after his regular nap time. I suppose that's what snowy days are for!

Jack hit the snow running!


Jack did not know what to think about snow on his shoes.





Oh no, get it off Mommy!




Daddy and Jack got rollin' on the snowman right away. Notice Jack chose to stand where the snow would not get on his shoes.



Look Mommy, our snowman has arms! Jack must have chanted "snowman aums" at least 15 times before we actually found the sticks. This was quite a crisis for him.



Jack and the finished project! Our snowman has grape eyes, a carrot nose, and an apple slice mouth. Jack snacked on a few of the apple slices during production.


Jack, Daddy, and Mr. Snowman Cibula.



Jack, Mommy, and Mr. Snowman Cibula.



"Nigh, Nigh Snowman, I'm reluctantly off to my nap."


And one more, just because he is so darn cute!




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is so darn cute! Glad you let him play and pushed back his nap! He will love the pics one day.
What wonderful memories!

The Fokens Family said...

We're so jealous! We got to see flakes but nothing collected on the ground!! Your snowman in adorable!!
~E

Anonymous said...

And fun was had by all! Great pictures and a great snowman!

Erin said...

very cute....it was a beautiful snowfall, I am glad Jack got to enjoy it! Come play with us soon!