Who would have thought that little Lulu would plan such a berry-tastic day for us? It was such a pleasure to see something new on the summer lists this year...Fruit Picking! I had to do a bit of research and actually found out more about fruit crops than I cared to know, but in the end I was able to find a nice little blueberry patch within driving distance.
With all of that new found knowledge I discovered July would be the best time to mark this off of our lists. Nothing like the sweltering heat of July and blueberries to make it summer.
It just so happened that the Micca clan was up for the adventure too. We also invited along our housekeeper's son and we were all off. Lots of hands on bushes to get the job done.
We got a quick lesson on how to choose the best berries, how to avoid Poison Ivy {yikes}, and how to find plentiful bushes. With buckets ready to be filled we were off {and there were a lot of us}.
Despite the heat, the kids really got into to it. You could hear squeals of "jackpot", "over here", and "look at all these berries" all around the patch. We found ourselves burying ourselves in the bushes not only to find the best berries but also so shade ourselves from the July sun.
Now I'm not saying we would make the best berry farmers. We were out in the field well over an hour only to find our berry buckets maybe a third of the way filled {and that's probably being very generous}.
We were all tuckered out and decided to head to the barn for some shade and lunch. Before doing that we had our berries weighed and payed for our visit. Get ready for this...it cost us a whole $4.98. Seriously, the cheapest summer dates ever!
The patch didn't offer too much else in the way of entertainment. But give this group of kiddos an open field, a barn dog, an old tractor, and an antique playground and they made their own entertainment.
We have stashed all of our pickings in the freezer and are hoping to getting around to trying out this recipe soon. I have never claimed to be a baker, but I'm thinking we can pull this one off. Yum...I can already smell it!














No comments:
Post a Comment