It's that time of summer again...when Jack is headed off to sleep away camp. I have to admit, this year was much easier on my end. Having experienced the week away and knowing what to expect and most importantly, that he LOVES it, made it much more emotionally manageable. Actually I didn't even shed a tear this year. Woo hoo! for this momma.
We did decide to make a weekend of the drop off. I had to squeeze every bit of my baby boy time in before sending him off to become Mr. Independent. We did the same last year and it turned out to be a very memorable weekend.
Jack's camp is located in the beautiful Carolina Mountains. There is certainly not a lack of entertainment. With Lucy being a wee bit older we opted to tackle Chimney Rock. Let me just say woah...that was not easy.
The heat was near unbearable and lest I mention that I was either carrying Lucy or Cosby {our 14 year old pup} the entire way. After a few whines from Mags, dripping sweat, sore legs, a near heat exhausted weinie dog, and a 30lb piggy back ride...WE MADE IT! And as cliche as it may sound, it was totally worth it. The view was insanely beautiful and the air conditioned snack shop was an added bonus. I'm pretty sure we all drank our weight in water once we hit the top.
After rehydration and a bit of rest, we were ready to marvel at the views. If anything, this picture was worth every achy muscle...I sure do LOVE when my big kids LOVE one another. {sigh}
Sporting a cheek size Dora tattoo, Little Ms. Adventure {clearly very well rested from riding the majority of the way up} was looking for ways to spice up the trip. "Views" are just way to boring for this gal. And on another note, I promise I tried to scrub that face art off.
After descending the rock {which mind you was much much easier}, the kids were itching to check out the little village at the bottom. Of course they immediately spotted a gem mining station, a rocky creek and an ice cream shop. We divulged and enjoyed all three.
Two of three adventurous Cibula kiddos had a blast rock climbing and splashing around in the creek. The other one and Cosby sat this adventure out under a shade tree.
I grabbed these water shoes for the girls on our way to Chimney Rock at the Dollar General. Completely a last minute cheapy purchase, but they served us well. I can guarantee their sandals would not have been a hit for this day.
It might be fair to say that our party of five has never sweat like that in our entire life. So once we returned to our hotel, the pool was a no brainer.
I lounged around on a raft while these three still had the energy to swim, jump, and play. I just don't get it. But more power to them.
After a few refresher swim lessons earlier this month, Lucy is back to being our little fish. She does her best to keep up with her bigs.
Meanwhile, this guy was as exhausted as the parents. I think we almost did the poor guy in. He has literally been sleeping for days since this excursion. It's tough being a senior.
By Sunday, it was time to drop Jack off. I fought off the stomach knots and the tears and let him go. But, not before snapping as many pics as I could and enjoying family day until they kicked us out.
He has a great group of buddies with him this year and I just know he is having the time of his life. Unfortunately, his letters never arrive until after he does..ugh! But, you better believe I've sent him one every.single.day since he has been gone. Luckily they have a great system where he actually gets mine immediately.

























No comments:
Post a Comment