Friday, February 8, 2013

Rice Cereal...Maybe


We start rice cereal with Lucy this week.  And this is usually where I add how my baby was so ready and loved it.  Well, not this time.

I was not prepared for Lucy's reaction.  Not even a little bit.

Lu is a pretty solid eater {no pun intended}.  I was for sure that she would love it.  I knew she was ready.

However, there is no truth in the third baby is the easiest.  Yes, she is easy in many ways and lovely in even more.  But, she is still her own little person and has her own way of doing things.

For baby number three it took four whole days to get this cereal thing down.  Not bad, but certainly, not easy.

On Day One, I nursed her and then put her in the high chair at her 3:30 feeding.  I was seriously excited, 'she's going to love this'.

I dipped the spoon in the bowl, gently put it in her mouth and this is what she did...




 There was no love about it.

I gave up three spoonfuls and three disgusted looks later.

Day Two, I tried again.  This time I added breast milk and mixed it more liquidy {is that a word?}  I think that may have backfired.  She took it in and after bite number two she screamed...and screamed some more.  Lucy doesn't scream often, but when she does...pass the ear plugs.



I was at a loss.  Was it the taste or was it too much like milk and it wasn't coming fast enough?  So, I did a little experiment.  I poured the remainder in a bottle and handed it to her.


She chugged it.  Hmmm...so it wasn't the taste or the texture.  Little Lu is just a very impatient eater {just like her brother was}.  More, more, more, and faster, faster, faster.


By Day Three, I wasn't going to let Lucy pull a fast one on me again.  It was time she learned patience.  No bottle.  Just a spoon...and one bite at a time.




Towards the end of the feeding, with lots of reminders from me to 'be patient', we were making progress.

And that brings me to glorious Day Four.  Lucy gleefully anticipated her cereal {with a dash of pear mixed in}.  She made happy grunts during her feeding, swallowed pretty nicely, and waited patiently for each and every bite.



We officially have a rice cereal eating baby at our house.  I'm certain everything from here on out will be easy with her {wink wink}, right?.




2 comments:

Tanya said...

We had quite the struggle with any kind of baby food. She would simply refuse to eat it. A friend told me about baby led weaning, so I tried that and she loves it. I still try to feed her baby food at times, but she still refuses it. It's so funny how they can be about their preferences.

ericafokens said...

brown headed or blonde--what's the verdict? She's delicious!