Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Dear Maggie



My Dearest Maggie,

It has been a long and exciting three months for all of us around here.  Many changes have come our way, but none like the changes you have felt.

I can't imagine what it must be like to be a wee two years old and for all you have ever known to be turned inside out and upside down.  I can promise, as your loving Mommy, I have done all I can to make this transition as easy for you as possible.

But sometimes welcoming great things into your life means making great sacrifices.  And this is just what you have learned in the past months.  On one side you have been blessed with a beautiful adoring baby sister, but on the other side you have had to sacrifice moments with your Mommy.  Moments that we both love and cherish.  I understand because I am making that sacrifice too.

Somehow we are both coming through this and I am so proud of the big sister in you that is emerging everyday.  I prayed very hard that you would never lose your place in this family.  And now, I see that God has blessed you with a new place in this family and you are thriving in it.

You are not only a little sister anymore, you are a big sister too.  Wow, what incredible titles to hold.  And you are proving to be amazing at both {just as I knew you would}.  You have so much to teach and show baby Lucy.  You are her role model, her guide, her teacher,  her second mommy, and soon enough, you will be her best friend.  What a blessed girl she is.

I can tell you take this role very seriously.  You are the first in our family to introduce "baby Lucy" to new friends and neighbors.  You proudly announce, "this is baby Lucy, she is my "sishter", she just a baby".

When anyone who lives in our house enters the room, if Lucy is present, you make sure to tell them, "say hello to baby Lucy".  You do all you can to make your new sister feel loved and special, just as we always try to do for you.

And your day is never complete without "three kisses from baby Lucy" because you are "three years old".

I love the way I can look into Lucy's eyes and remember you as a newborn as well.  I cherish my moments with her, as well as relish in the ones I had with you.  Two for the price of one in some ways.

I can only imagine what the next months and years hold for our family.  I am sure many more days of ups and downs and hopefully lots of happy endings.  But no matter what, I am so blessed to share them with you Maggie.  You are truly an amazing little one, my first born princess, my Magpie, and the only one in this family that is a "big" and a "little".  Lucy and I should be so lucky to call you our own.

Thank you for being you and for reminding me that no matter how bumpy life can get, we can all get through it together.

All My Love,
Mommy




No comments: