Friday, August 10, 2012

Sneaking A Peek


The kids got a chance to sneak a peek of their new classrooms today.  It just so happened that both viewings were scheduled for the same morning....an hour apart...at two different schools...that are12 minutes apart.  To put it lightly it was an excitingly hectic morning.

First stop was Kindergarten.  I went in with a very heavy heart.  Jack went in with a pep in his step.  I'm not complaining, I think it's great, just absolutely not what I expected from him.  There are moments that I question, "hmmm...does he know exactly what is about to happen?".  But after today, I think he really does.  And he is legitimately excited.

So much so, that I'm pretty sure the PTO loves me and my checkbook.  He wanted an Eagle t-shirt first and foremost.  He picked out the blue tie-dye one and begged to change into it immediately upon leaving {with his madras shorts mind you}.  Somehow I was able to talk him in to waiting until after we left Maggie's teacher meeting.  But, he did adorn it to get his hair cut and lunch.  It was an interesting look.

He insisted we have an "eagle magnet" for the car {and that did go on immediately}.  I look very school spirited.  Then he wanted one for his magnet board in his bedroom.

He and Maggie both got stuffed Eagles that they have slept with every night.  Maggie wouldn't take my rationale that she, "wasn't exactly an Eagle".  No, if it was good enough for Jack it was good enough for her.

And finally they each had to have one of those rubber bracelet things.  For Jack, I'm sure it was the fact that it was blue and yellow and said, "Go Eagles".  And for Maggie, well, it was bracelet.  And that is all it takes for her.

Jack is literally beside himself to be a Kindergartener and an Eagle at that.  Life is good.

He also talked me into signing him up for Lego club after school one day a week.  I was so hesitant, and still am, because I know this kid is going to be exhausted.  But, a buddy in his class {and that lives on our street} is doing it, so how could I say no?  Wish me luck on that one.  I'm sure I will be kicking myself when he is having a meltdown every Tuesday night.

But, above anything, his classroom and his new teacher is what it was all about.  And he adored every minute of being a big kid.


We waited outside Jack's new school for the doors to be unlocked.  You wouldn't believe the crowd at the entry.  It looked like black Friday.  Serious anticipation.



Once inside, Ms.Watson greeted us at the door with a Scavenger Hunt List.  Jack loved the idea of an adventure in his new classroom.  First thing on our list was to find his cubby.  This boy was way excited to see he was the blue group...things were already falling into place.



Along the way, we had to find his table.  He sits at the blue table {if you know Jack this a HUGE deal}.There he had paperwork to fill out.



Other stops included finding centers, book bag hooks, and decorating his first day name tag.  The last stop was to find Ms. Watson and let her take a picture of her new student.  Then we turned the tables on her.  She was a trooper.  I think we are going to have a great Kindergarten year!

After our Kindergarten visit, we literally raced to the car and punched it to Maggie's school {which is how I think I convinced Jack to hold off on the blue tie-dye tee, "we're in a big hurry, but as soon as we are done with Maggie's teacher, I promise"}.  

We made it to Maggie's meet and greet {only 8 minutes late}.  Poor Mags.  But, her teachers fabulously let us stay an extra 8 minutes to make up for lost time.  I love pre-school.  

The rushing around put Maggie in a bit of a tail spin.  So I had to spend an additional few minutes outside her classroom door relaxing her {and myself}.  But, once that was done, she was a happy little camper again.  And she walked in that door like she owned the school.  Wow, what a difference a year makes.  Her new found confidence is awesome.


Maggie immediately greeted her new teacher, Ms.Becky, and...gave her a hug and a kiss.  That wasn't exactly what I was expecting...awesome, both of my kids pleasantly surprised me today!  Yay!  

As you can imagine, with a new baby coming, I've had a few concerns about all of the new transitions.  So far, so good {knock on wood-if you know me, you know I'm not naive, so counting my blessings while I can}.  And I forgot to mention, to make matters even BETTER, Ms.Becky's aide is the same aide Maggie had last year, Ms. Cheryl.  I love when things work out like that.  



After greeting her teachers, Maggie hopped from activity to activity checking out her new room.  First stop, the kitchen.



Then the book nook.  Which was a giant hit because of those super cool pillows.



But, she claimed the blocks were her favorite.  When I acted surprised by that choice, she responded, "because that is Jack's favorite".  Oh, gotcha.  That girl loves her brother.




And just because we did it {and all before 10:15 a.m} we took a very happy "Sneak A Peek" picture.  I think all three of us felt very accomplished and extremely excited.  

{and I PROMISE, I had no intentions of matching myself to the kids-I literally realized we looked as if we were on our way to have family portraits as we were racing to the car at 8:15 a.m....this pregnant Momma's wardrobe is very limited these final two weeks--cut me some slack --see how tired I am.}

Okay, so Monday is the big day for Jack and then Tuesday is Maggie's big day.  I think I'm going to make it.  I can't promise a tear free Monday, but I can promise that I know both kids are in great hands.

We are going to spend the weekend laying low, packing up backpacks, and adoring our time together!




2 comments:

The Fokens Family said...

Looks like sneak and peak went sooo well! Whew! Jack is SO ready for this new adventure. Get your tissues ready!

Tanya said...

I'm thinking of y'all this morning and hoping that Jack has a great day!