We celebrated a very rainy Mother's Day today. Every day can't be perfect....and apparently neither can my kids.
But...the weekend was certainly worth noting and had many finer points.
For one, my Mom, Grandma to the kids, moved to town. Yes, you just read right. After discussing this for say, 4 years, she finally did it. Jack is in heaven and Maggie is getting use to the idea. {and only because she is a Momma's girl to the core}.
With Grandma in town, Clay planned a nice little get away for just the two of us. We headed downtown Saturday night and had a heavenly dinner. {sans kids and after the early bird special} We stayed at the Intercontinental, which was perfectly plush, and I enjoyed a much needed facial at the spa. Saturday was pretty much perfect.
The kids had a little vacation of their own. Only theirs was at home with Grandma. They conned her into an after bedtime movie and ice cream. All of this would be perfectly fine, if not for the fact that Jack was on night two of missing his bedtime. You see, Grandma invited him over for a sleepover on Friday night also. Those two can't get enough of one another. So sweet!
However, a bit bittersweet. My little kiddos were what I like to consider a "lack of proper sleep" mess by Sunday morning when Clay and I returned. Although, I can't solely blame their little funk on the sleep thing, part was due to being away from Mommy and trying to get all those emotions back in check upon my return {this mainly applies to my darling Magpie}. All that fun from one weekend finally caught up with us on Sunday aka Mother's Day. Wouldn't you know?
But, we survived. We made it through a delicious brunch, melt my heart presents, and a try at some Mother's Day pictures {by the way, "try" does not do the moment justice}. And then I put those kids straight to bed for a looooong nap.
Maggie and I took the first picture while Jack sat on an opposite bench trying to "collect" himself. Maggie was plenty happy.
Grandma joined us. Maggie continued to be happy and Jack continued to try to collect himself.
Then Jack decided he was ready. Clearly he wasn't. {but he loves me and I know this because of the way he tried so hard to nuzzle up to me in that picture} Sometimes my big boy just needs a little love.
We tried for just ONE Mother's Day picture with the loves of my life. We soon gave up and headed inside for our brunch reservations.
After brunch, we tried again. Jack was collected and happy! Yay!
But...now Maggie was not. And this my friends, is what being a Mother is all about. How could I ever ask for more? I adore these kiddos....happy, sad, rainy, or sunny. What a beautiful gift.
We nixed the group photo idea. Maggie got Daddy's iphone and all was well with her.
Jack requested to do a few "superhero" poses for the camera and all was well with him.
Well, until he looked at the camera screen and realized he was smiling in the first shot. He wanted a "do over", because Superheroes don't smile when they pose...duh?
Like I said before, how could I ever ask for more? I love you Jack and Maggie {and new baby}. I adore being your Mommy!
Happy Mother's Day to all of you ahhhhhmazing Mothers out there. Hope your day was full of sunshine!





1 comment:
I always check your blog on Sunday nights when I work.... Love that your mom lives there now. You are so right about the ups and downs of kids, but wouldn't trade it for anything Happy Mother's Day Paula!
Post a Comment