Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The Mini Farm



Summer is upon us.  The kids are out of school. And before we get too bogged down with summer camps, I gave the kids the privilege of picking one activity each last week.  Jack immediately picked the dinosaur museum.  Which we did first.  We enjoyed thoroughly. And even Daddy joined us--on a work day.  What a treat!


Maggie picked a farm.  She wasn't specific about which one.  Just a farm with "goats, sheeps, chickuns, horsies, kitty cats, and cows".  And every time I asked her about her choice, she stayed consistent with the  "fahm" choice and the list of animals that followed it.

After a little research, I decided to take both kids up north {because that where farms are} to a mini farm.  And by mini I mean one complete with all miniature animals.  How perfect is that?

Most of the ride up there, Jack whined complained expressed that this was going to be "so boring", "this is so far" and "I am already so bored".  How bad did I want to tell him that I thought dinosaurs were boring?  But, I reminded myself that I was the adult, I withheld, and Maggie and I  played a little 'look for horses out the window' game.

We arrived after 42 minutes in the car and lo' and behold, five minutes into our mini farm trip, everyone was having fun...even Mr. Boring.

This place was perfectly stinky {just as a farm should be}, it was sweltering hot {just as summer should be}, and the animals were marvelously mini.

And if you can believe this, when I gave each kid a choice again for next week, Jack said, and I quote, "I want my day to be at the farm.  The SAME EXACT farm Maggie picked".  Wonderfully ironic, isn't it?



The mini goats were by far the kid's favorite.  It took Jack a few feedings to realize that the higher he held the bread the higher those goats would jump for it {and all of them at the same time}.  I loved his 'get away from the goats' jig.



As soon as Maggie realized that food=jumping, she forgo the bucket of bread and decided to tell the little goats a story instead.



Jack and this goat were best buddies up until the end {or at least until Jack finally let it go}.  



Nothing was funnier though, then hearing the sheep bleat.  Maggie couldn't contain her giggles.  Absolutely precious that little Magpie is.



While the kids picked the goats as their favorite, I picked this pony as mine.  He literally only came up to right above my knee.  So sweet...and stinky.  Jack took this picture of me and my pony.  Not bad, huh?




Jack got to pan for gold too.  The rocks he uncovered are now his sacred treasure.  Beware! anyone who touches them.



And Maggie had to give one last goodbye to the goats before we headed off on our 42 minute trek.  Bye bye goats, bye bye farm!  {who knows, we may see you again next week...}





No comments: