Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Book Review: Midwives



Another great book! I'm sure you're thinking that I like every book I read. That is certainly not true. But, I have been blessed with friends, okay mainly Erin, that do the dirty work for me. She reads and then passes on the list to me. Works out perfectly. Not to mention, I'm pretty sure I've figured out what I'll like and I won't and therefore, I can generally avoid the latter.

Like I said, Midwives was a great book. Definitely written for the female gender. Not that I think many men read this blog, but I thought I would point that out. It's very real, which makes it a bit scary in my opinion. Maybe because I'm in the child bearing age.

I loved the way it was written, partly through a diary and partly through the eyes of a Midwife's daughter. I am always intrigued when you can get two perspectives in a novel. The story line basis involves a Midwife who performs an emergency C-section on a mother who is laboring at her home. Sadly the mother dies during labor. The remainder of the story is the emotional and legal battles that the family experiences.

I believe it was set back in the 1980's. So it wasn't my usual favorite historical fiction. But, it did have just enough of that "not present day" feel to pacify me. Not to mention it took place in a fairly rural town in Vermont which definitely doesn't remind me of my everyday life. Maybe that's why I enjoyed it so much.

I don't want to give away too much more, but the ending did surprise me. Not shocking, but it was not what I had expected. It may or may not do the same to you.

Having said all that, it is a definite "yes" on my list. If you read it, let me know your thoughts!


Happy Reading!



1 comment:

Erin said...

glad you liked it! :)